Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v2aohb$2srn5$2@dont-email.me>

From: Alan <nuh-uh@nope.com>
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android
Subject: Re: Additions to the iOS/Android Features Document
Date: Sat, 18 May 2024 10:29:15 -0700

On 2024-05-18 05:59, Andrew wrote:
> sms wrote on Fri, 17 May 2024 18:22:21 -0700 :
>
>>>     For portable storage, it's much easier to plug a (compatible)
>>> memory-stick into the USB or Lightning port. There are many such
>>> memory-sticks, most with dual plugs of different types (USB-A, USB-C,
>>> Micro-USB, Lightning). Yes, more expensive than a MicroSD card, but
>>> much, much more convenient.
>>
>> And then carry around a separate device?!
>>
>> If you like to store large quantities of photos, music or audiobooks or
>> video content on your phone then the MicroSD card expansion is great.
>> That said, none of the phones I currently use have a MicroSD card slot.
>
> Keep in mind that "portable" storage means different things, none of which
> an iPhone can do, but all of which an Android phone with an sd card can do.

Keep in mind that that which follows is pretty much all bullshit...

> #1. Sure it means "expanding" the memory - but almost nobody does that
>      (as it's too slow and limiting in a variety of ways we all know about).

"almost nobody does that" would mean "almost nobody does" virtual memory...

....and both Android and iOS definitely DO employ virtual memory.

> #2. And just as sure, it means "extending" the memory - but everyone knows
>      that also - which is what most people do to store pictures & videos.

And now the doofus mixes his use of the term "memory".

"memory" on a computing device has always been used to refer to "random
access memory" which is volatile and where data is store when being
access by the CPU to execute instructions.

So MEMORY is NEVER used to "store pictures & videos": that is STORAGE.

"Storage" is used to refer to the non-volatile medium used to store data
long term.

But more on the reference to '"extending" the memory' in a moment.

> #3. Also, just as surely, it means popping the card into another device
>      (usually a PC) for the purpose of backing up or moving data.

Hmmmmm...

If you "extend" the "memory" (actually storage)...

....wouldn't that mean that only SOME of the data is on the removable
storage?

> #4. But what very few people understand it also means you can swap the
>      card out of your old phone into your new phone and EVERYTHING works!

And wouldn't it also mean that "EVERYTHING" isn't ON the removable storage?

> None of that can an iPhone do (which is one reason iPhones are severely
> limited, not only in lack of software functionality, but hardware too).

My iPhone backs itself up to the cloud, but if I preferred, I could have
it back up to my computer.

>> You're pretty much limited to very low end phones if you want a MicroSD
>> card slot and/or a headphone jack, with the exception of the Sony XPERIA
>> phones (which can cost more than an iPhone Pro Max model).
>
>   *The best Android phones with expandable memory*

Storage not memory.

>   <https://www.androidauthority.com/best-android-phones-expandable-memory-696913/>
>
> Sony Xperia 1 V
> MSRP: $1,399.99

So to transfer between devices as you suggest...

....you have to disable your phone twice (once to take it out, once to
put it back in)...

....because:

'microSDXC (uses shared SIM slot)'

> Sony Xperia 10 V
> MSRP: 449.00 Euros

Same.

> Samsung Galaxy A55
> MSRP: $470.00

Same.

> Samsung Galaxy A35
> MSRP: $400.00

Same.

> Motorola Moto G Power 5G (2024)
> MSRP: $299.99

At least this one has a dedicated slot...

> Samsung Galaxy A15 5G
> MSRP: $200.00

....but then we're back to a slot shared with the SIM!

And having to temporarily deactivate the phone's most important
functions just to transfer data seems...

....pretty impractical to me.

And to put it in perspective, less than a quarter of the Android phones
released in the last 3 years have separate card slots for storage.

And only about 60% have any kind of storage card support at all.