Article <v2bsog$36vvc$1@dont-email.me>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v2bsog$36vvc$1@dont-email.me>

From: olcott <polcott333@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: sci.logic,comp.theory
Subject: Re: True on the basis of meaning --- Good job Richard ! ---Socratic
 method
Date: Sat, 18 May 2024 22:47:27 -0500
 <v23ra5$15fgo$1@i2pn2.org> <v242un$1cdll$1@dont-email.me>
 <v24qsq$16nbi$1@i2pn2.org> <v253g6$1jo3l$1@dont-email.me>
 <v26fe6$18ad7$3@i2pn2.org> <v26g9v$1vvq8$2@dont-email.me>
 <v26gtr$18ad7$13@i2pn2.org> <v26ie2$20f8s$1@dont-email.me>
 <v26iuo$18ad7$15@i2pn2.org> <v26k8e$20nen$1@dont-email.me>
 <v27fpj$18ad7$16@i2pn2.org> <v27pp4$27tqp$1@dont-email.me>
 <v28v14$1a3tk$19@i2pn2.org> <v28vsb$2f45l$1@dont-email.me>
 <v290i2$1a3tk$21@i2pn2.org> <v2937a$2jfci$1@dont-email.me>
 <v294e1$1a3tk$22@i2pn2.org> <v297m8$2k4a6$1@dont-email.me>
 <v2a7p7$1ct7p$2@i2pn2.org> <v2ad5l$2qlho$1@dont-email.me>
 <v2ae6h$1ct7p$5@i2pn2.org> <v2am4p$2sdl6$1@dont-email.me>
 <v2amkc$1ct7p$13@i2pn2.org> <v2aobj$2sdma$5@dont-email.me>
 <v2ap1t$1ct7o$9@i2pn2.org> <v2b0jd$2u8oi$1@dont-email.me>
 <v2b17b$1ct7p$16@i2pn2.org> <v2b1dr$2u8oi$3@dont-email.me>
 <v2b9mo$1ecj9$2@i2pn2.org> <v2bb6d$308qd$2@dont-email.me>
 <v2bc5o$1ecj9$3@i2pn2.org>

On 5/18/2024 6:04 PM, Richard Damon wrote:

>>> Not allowed.
>>>

>> My True(L,x) predicate is defined to return true or false for every
>> finite string x on the basis of the existence of a sequence of truth
>> preserving operations that derive x from
>>
>> A set of finite string semantic meanings that form an accurate
>> verbal model of the general knowledge of the actual world that
>> form a finite set of finite strings that are stipulated to have
>> the semantic value of Boolean true.
>>
>> *This is computable* Truthbearer(L,x) ≡ (True(L,x) ∨ True(L,~x))
>> *This is computable* Truthbearer(L,x) ≡ (True(L,x) ∨ True(L,~x))
>> *This is computable* Truthbearer(L,x) ≡ (True(L,x) ∨ True(L,~x))
>> *This is computable* Truthbearer(L,x) ≡ (True(L,x) ∨ True(L,~x))
>> *This is computable* Truthbearer(L,x) ≡ (True(L,x) ∨ True(L,~x))
>>

> So, for a statement x to be false, it says that there must be a sequence
> of truth perserving operations that derive ~x from, right?

Yes we must build from mutual agreement, good.

> So do you still say that for p defined in L as ~True(L, p) that your
> definition will say that True(L, p) will return false?

It is the perfectly isomorphic to this:
True(English, "This sentence is not true")

> That means that the predicate establishes that there IS a seriers of
> truth perservion operations that derive the expreson ~True(L, p).

You keep confusing:
This sentence is not true.
with
This sentence is not true: "This sentence is not true".
I have spent 20,000 hours on this YOU WILL NOT FIND ANY ACTUAL MISTAKE.

> And if so, doesnt that mean that the truth value of p will be true,
> since p is defined as the logical negation of True(L, p), which we just
> establish HAS a sequence of truth perservion operations as indicated by
> the truth predicate.

In Prolog both the Liar Paradox and the Truth Teller Paradox
get stuck in an infinite loop (technically a cycle in the directed
graph of their evaluation sequence).

https://www.swi-prolog.org/pldoc/man?predicate=unify_with_occurs_check/2
Catches this cycle and reject it.

This sentence is not true.
What is it not true about?
It is not true about being not true.
What is it not true about being not true about?
It is not true about being not true about being not true...

> and if so, doesn't that mean that your True(L, x) just returned the
> false value for an input that was, by your definitions, true?
>
> How does that work?

It must work the same as Prolog and detect cycles
in its evaluation graph.