Article <v2buf0$378q4$1@dont-email.me>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v2buf0$378q4$1@dont-email.me>

From: super70s <super70s@super70s.invalid>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: TV power on problem
Date: Sat, 18 May 2024 23:16:33 -0500

I have this 28" diagonal TV I bought in 2021 during the height of the
Covid pandemic (Jensen brand, licensed by some South Korean company
called ASA Electronics) I use in my living room. Lately it's been
acting stubborn about turning on. Although the blue "standby LED" light
(could be red, green or white I guess on your TV) is on, the TV won't
turn on. I have been able to get it to turn on like it should after I
fiddle around with it for several minutes by unplugging it and holding
down the power button on the TV to "reset" it. At first I thought the
Roku device might be interfering with it somehow but I still had the
same problem after I unhooked that. Then I tried unplugging the TV from
the power strip and plugging it directly into the electrical outlet --
same problem.

I did some research on the web and people who know about TVs said this
was characteristic of a TV with a "fading power supply." They even give
instructions on how to replace a power supply but I don't want to fool
with that. From what I understand a lot of today's flat screen TVs are
"unrepairable" anyway without tearing them up when you open them up.

This is the TV I use the most by a longshot, a lot more than a 32"
diagonal I have sitting on top of a small stereo cabinet in my bedroom
and a 40" diagonal I have in my "man cave" room for watching DVDs and
Blu-Rays. The 28" size is not easy to find -- seems to be popular with
the RV crowd for their compact spaces -- but it's about 25" wide and
the largest size that can fit comfortably in a 28" wide space which is
how wide the space in my old entertainment center from the 1980s is
(most 32" TVs seem to be about at least 28 1/2" or 29" wide which
wouldn't fit good in that space).

This TV wasn't exactly cheap -- I think I paid about $260 for it -- and
it's disappointing that the power supply would go bad after only 3
years. I found another 28" TV on eBay from an electronics dealer for
only $84 (Continu.us brand which I hadn't heard of), it's "like new"
and could have a "stuck pixel" problem but I guess I'll have to live
with that (my 32" bedroom TV also has a stuck pixel or two and it isn't
that noticeable). I'm just going to leave the current TV on all the
time until the new one arrives hopefully on Friday, when I'm not using
it leave it on a channel higher up the tier with a "Video Signal Is
Blocked" crawl going across the top.

I still have an old 27" RCA CRT TV sitting unused in a spare bedroom
that I used to use in the entertainment center, works as good as the
day I bought it 1995. Oh for the good ole days.