Article <v2dsgr$3itvc$2@dont-email.me>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v2dsgr$3itvc$2@dont-email.me>

From: "Chris M. Thomasson" <chris.m.thomasson.1@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: comp.arch
Subject: Re: Making Lemonade (Floating-point format changes)
Date: Sun, 19 May 2024 14:55:38 -0700
 <memo.20240512203459.16164W@jgd.cix.co.uk> <v1rab7$2vt3u$1@dont-email.me>
 <20240513151647.0000403f@yahoo.com> <v1tre1$3leqn$1@dont-email.me>
 <9c79fb24a0cf92c5fac633a409712691@www.novabbs.org>
 <v1u6oi$3o53t$1@dont-email.me>
 <bcbda29c4c23543d1ed6de8290d1dc3b@www.novabbs.org>
 <v1ubel$3p1kt$1@dont-email.me>
 <01b78f15d6b5f87809163ce539356ef2@www.novabbs.org>
 <pZJ0O.14089$yT%1.12952@fx33.iad>
 <4551b3b18017eb57d94876733377f532@www.novabbs.org> <CPv1O.3$B7ge.2@fx34.iad>
 <06ca70b0f9a7f44c59dd827779ad855e@www.novabbs.org>
 <JbO1O.4264$ND9f.2639@fx39.iad> <v28ouo$2dptd$1@dont-email.me>
 <ad22O.8001$1%Qc.4507@fx18.iad> <v2bg2a$318im$1@dont-email.me>
 <mUc2O.11686$tPfe.3221@fx17.iad> <v2ds3r$3itvc$1@dont-email.me>

On 5/19/2024 2:48 PM, Chris M. Thomasson wrote:
> On 5/18/2024 6:48 PM, EricP wrote:
>> Chris M. Thomasson wrote:

>>> I have, wrt NT 4.0 back in the day. It can get to a point where the
>>> system is totally unresponsive. Then, sometimes, dies. A shit load of
>>> concurrent overlapped io ops, malloc tends to return NULL, then the
>>> non-paged memory gets really bad...
>>
>> What I have seen is due to what turned out to be a bug in Windows
>> Defender
>> is that in monitoring my internet packets it would leak non-paged pool,
>> which then grows consuming more and more free pages all while the system
>> gets slower and slower, until finally it hangs and has to be rebooted.
>> The solution was to disable Windows Defender, but I only discovered that
>> by chance (random thrashing about).
>
> I have not seen that one yet. Remember Dr Watson?
>

>> I've only seen one blue screen in 30 years of using WinNT.
>> That was a "Page fault at raised IRQL" in the Microsoft TCP driver
>> (basically, a page fault occurred inside a driver, a big no-no)
>> back in the 1990's and the replacement driver was already available
>> on the Microsoft website.
>>

> I cannot remember what service pack it was when I could trigger a
> totally unresponsive system what could actually blue screen the shit out
> of itself. I think it was SP3. It think it was on Workstation. The one
> that would limit the number of concurrent overlapped TransmitFile calls
> wrt IOCP. The Server version was unlimited... Well, it was limited wrt
> non-paged memory.

I remember a little test that Microsoft made wrt 50,000 concurrent
OVERLAPPED ops in IOCP vs an event driven model actually creating a
windows event per connection multiplexing WFMO in several threads. The
event model did not perform as well, but it did not do too bad either. I
wonder if I can still find that paper. Back in 2002 or something. Hard
to remember right now.