Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v2gfnm$2f5k$1@nnrp.usenet.blueworldhosting.com>

From: Andrew <andrew@spam.net>
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Re: How will the police find me.
Date: Mon, 20 May 2024 21:35:50 -0000 (UTC)

knuttle wrote on Mon, 20 May 2024 16:00:46 -0400 :

> On 05/20/2024 2:38 PM, Chris wrote:
>> I presume you're kidding, but just in case, I'll answer as if you
>> weren't.
> No I was not kidding.  Today people have put their whole lives in a
> cellphone.  They depend on it to maintain their financial records, their
> shopping list.  They use it to find the places they go.   They feel they
> do not need to know basic, because they think the can use
> google/siri/etc when ever they need information.  I sometime wonder if
> they need to google to tie their shoes.
>
> I think it is a recipe for disaster.  They are depending for everything
> in their lives based on being able to access a cell tower.   Hurricane,
> tornado, earthquake and the cell system being significantly interrupted,
> they will be helpless.

Well, to be fair, cellphones make people safer, and, in fact, cellphones
are one reason traffic safety has steadily improved year after year after
year since traffic accident rates steadily went down while cellphone
ownership rates skyrocketed (contrary to the myth by most morons out there
that cellphone use while driving raises the accident rate).

None of those morons who claim that have ever looked at the accident rates.

In addition to the SOS apps, Satellite communications and HAM radio
previously discussed in this group (assuming a broken leg, for example),
for the OP, there's a free geofence app on iOS & Android which will alert
anyone he wants to alert the instant his phone goes into our out of the
area (of course, it needs to have cellular coverage at sending time).

https://www.iamherezone.com/ by SyncIt
 "This app allows users to send pre-generated messages based on
  their geofence location area, thus informing other users when
  they enter or leave a geographical area. The user defines the
  geographical area by drawing it on the map. The app supports
  SMS messaging, WhatsApp, email, and push notifications."

  1. Draw a zone (on OpenStreetMap)
  2. Write your text message
  3. Select recipients

  Create multiple zones