Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v2htpi$ggbj$1@dont-email.me>

From: John R Walliker <jrwalliker@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Subject: Re: "Safe" cell phone WiFi capabilities?
Date: Tue, 21 May 2024 11:43:28 +0100

On 21/05/2024 10:58, Martin Brown wrote:

> That sort of continuous datarate would probably overheat many (most?)
> mobile phones. Some of them can get quite hot when worked hard.
>
>>> Then I buy a phone that can support 802.11ac Wave2 with 160 MHz channel
>>> width, and at least 3x3 spatial streams. Assuming, of course:
>>>
>>>    - that the AP supports those minimum requirements as well, AND
>>>    - The conditions allow for negotiation of MCS8 (~2300 mbps link rate,
>>>      ballpark 1gpbs sustained data rate, but WiFi math is "fun") AND
>>>    - There aren't other devices also requesting airtime (especially ones
>>>      using slower options -- 2x2 streams, 802.11n, MCS5,  etc.) AND
>>>    - The server has enough bandwidth (incl. read buffers, disk I/O,
>>> etc.)
>>>      to sustain that 1gpbs transfer to my phone.
>>>    - The phone has enough bandwidth (incl. write buffers, "disk" I/O,
>>>      etc.) to sustain a 1gbps transfer from the server.
>>
>> Etc.  But, I don't want to FORCE you to buy capabilities that you
>> don't ALREADY HAVE -- hence the question as to the prevalence of
>> a particular "minimum" WiFi standard in current phones.
>
>> I WANT TO KNOW WHAT SET OF WiFi CAPABILITIES I CAN EXPECT FROM
>> PHONES CURRENTLY IN USE.  What's so vague about that?
>
> It varies depending on who is using them. There are a lot of people
> glued to their less than year old super phone 24/7 who have the latest
> of everything and OLED screens. Then there are the people (typically
> parents or grandparents of the above) who have the hand me down phones.
>
> And a bunch of Luddites still on completely dumb phones for their
> extended battery life or other elderly friendly features like large
> buttons. I reckon there are still a fair proportion of totally dumb
> phones in the older generation and a bunch of people in the UK who are
> going to be very surprised when the 3G signals are finally switched off.
>
> I have a feeling that 2.5G will outlive 3G since some remote areas have
> nothing else. 5G is now common in cities and 4G elsewhere.
>
>> Find every phone currently in use.  Determine its WiFi capabilities
>> based on its published specifications.  Tabulate these results.
>> Identify any patterns observed.
>
> You could probably make a fairly safe assumption that any phone in
> regular use for more than 5 years will be on its last legs now (and/or
> slowed down from as new performance by battery saver tricks).
>
> Just look back to see what network capabilities were most common in
> popular models 5 years ago. Secondhand smart phones from a few years
> back sell for quite low prices these days unless they are iToys.
>
>> I could similarly ask for the nominal WEIGHT of phones currently in
>> use.  Or, size.  Or, color.  Or, ...   The approach would be the same.
>> Would it MATTER how I was using this information?  Or, why?  Would
>> the data CHANGE??
>
> The annoying thing for me is that with each new generation the mobile
> phone gets larger which is good from the point of view of the handset
> [...]
I can offer some real-world data that may be of use.  I manage
WiFi access points in offices around the world.  In every case,
i have disabled 802.11b and nobody has complained.  The reason for
doing this is that some devices such as high-definition cameras
and screen sharing devices send large amounts of data using
multi-casting. If one WiFi recipient is connected very slowly
this uses up all the available WiFi bandwidth causing the whole
network to grind to a halt.
Setting a minimum connection speed of 12MHz at 2.4GHz and 24MHz
at 5GHz is also useful and does not appear to cause any problems.

John