Article <v2m6i9$1i4sg$1@dont-email.me>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v2m6i9$1i4sg$1@dont-email.me>

From: olcott <polcott333@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: sci.logic,comp.theory
Subject: Re: True on the basis of meaning --- Good job Richard ! ---Socratic
 method (agreement)
Date: Wed, 22 May 2024 20:36:08 -0500
 <v294e1$1a3tk$22@i2pn2.org> <v297m8$2k4a6$1@dont-email.me>
 <v2a7p7$1ct7p$2@i2pn2.org> <v2ad5l$2qlho$1@dont-email.me>
 <v2ae6h$1ct7p$5@i2pn2.org> <v2am4p$2sdl6$1@dont-email.me>
 <v2amkc$1ct7p$13@i2pn2.org> <v2aobj$2sdma$5@dont-email.me>
 <v2ap1t$1ct7o$9@i2pn2.org> <v2b0jd$2u8oi$1@dont-email.me>
 <v2b17b$1ct7p$16@i2pn2.org> <v2b1dr$2u8oi$3@dont-email.me>
 <v2b9mo$1ecj9$2@i2pn2.org> <v2bb6d$308qd$2@dont-email.me>
 <v2bc5o$1ecj9$3@i2pn2.org> <v2bsog$36vvc$1@dont-email.me>
 <v2cpb1$1g2n8$1@i2pn2.org> <v2cvj6$3ddo5$1@dont-email.me>
 <v2d0qp$3dlkm$1@dont-email.me> <v2d1io$3dplm$1@dont-email.me>
 <v2evl5$3snmj$1@dont-email.me> <v2g2dp$3ugq$1@dont-email.me>
 <v2hkkl$ggq9$1@dont-email.me> <v2ibhe$ksut$1@dont-email.me>
 <v2k8go$1363g$1@dont-email.me> <v2l4hr$188bi$3@dont-email.me>
 <v2l87m$19619$1@dont-email.me> <v2lies$1b4kp$1@dont-email.me>
 <v2ltgl$1nrfv$2@i2pn2.org> <v2m0m5$1dcof$2@dont-email.me>
 <v2m4lg$1qo0t$1@i2pn2.org>

On 5/22/2024 8:03 PM, Richard Damon wrote:
> On 5/22/24 7:55 PM, olcott wrote:
>> *You are just not paying close enough attention again*
>>
>> When p defined as ~True(L, p)
>>   True(L,p)  is false
>>   True(L,~p) is false
>> ~True(L,~p) is true
>>
>> x := y means x is defined to be another name for y
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_logic_symbols
>
> Right, so since p is DEFINED to be ~True(L, p), which since True(L, p)
> is false, must be true, that means that you are claiming that
> T(L, <a statement that has been shown to be true>) is false.
>
> Thus your True predicat is just broken.

Let's use the more intuitive name lp so that we incorporate by
reference (instead of ignore) all of the material about the liar paradox.

lp := ~True(L, lp)

You already said that you know the Liar Paradox is neither true
nor false, thus not a truth-bearer. You proved that you know
more about self-reference than all of the standard literature

On 5/13/2024 7:29 PM, Richard Damon wrote:
 > Remember, p defined as ~True(L, p)

Those two things by themselves put you ahead of most experts
in the field. The very best expert in the field that I know of
does not know these two things and they only think that the Liar
Paradox might not be a truth-bearer, they do not know it is not.

>> You ignored the part where Mikko agreed that
>>   p defined as ~True(L, p)
>> is a syntax error:
>
> So, what it the "Syntax Error"?
>
> Are we not allowed to negate an expression
>
> Or are we not allowed to assign an expression to a name.
>
> Note, "Syntax Error", by its definition doesn't look at Semantics,
>

>> On 5/21/2024 3:05 AM, Mikko wrote:
>>  > On 2024-05-20 17:48:40 +0000, olcott said:
>>  >> True(English, "a cat is an animal) is true
>>  >> LP := ~True(L, LP) expands to ~True(~True(~True(~True(...))))
>>  >
>>  > No, it doesn't. It is a syntax error to have the same symbol on
>>  > both sides ":=" so the expansion is not justified.
>
> But it isn't.

*Mikko rejects p := ~True(L,p) as a syntax error*
*which rejects p defined as ~True(L, p) as a syntax error*