Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v2na16$1nvei$1@dont-email.me>

From: Bill Sloman <bill.sloman@ieee.org>
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Subject: Re: CO2 Funny
Date: Thu, 23 May 2024 21:41:16 +1000
 <v2i77o$juul$1@dont-email.me> <2lep4j1lvsiathlf5mu1sov52fkppten50@4ax.com>
 <umlp4j9524l9e78g7meedtvkjccnt5kki3@4ax.com>
 <t8mp4jh04424mgcgkhc5akgkb5fji707lu@4ax.com>
 <54np4j5eq0gga4u24i69i6sechie1ohcjd@4ax.com>
 <ionp4jpskmjj3t5ge13jtvbmg6n3g0m738@4ax.com>
 <mssr4jh13hf2p7deu8phdkkda50roask0p@4ax.com> <v2ktll$17293$1@dont-email.me>
 <o61s4jhh7krhb55lo3c40r5mn2f9nkk1n3@4ax.com>
 <2k9s4j94256k6gbapd5snscqosn3b53ici@4ax.com>
 <aebs4j5fhoja2c3q718r4l7dqh9gp28sj6@4ax.com>

On 23/05/2024 3:52 am, john larkin wrote:
> On Wed, 22 May 2024 18:10:58 +0100, Pomegranate Bastard
> <pommyB@aol.com> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 22 May 2024 07:54:30 -0700, john larkin <jl@650pot.com> wrote:

>>> Exactly. Cheap insults are, well, cheap.
>>
>> Indeed.
>>
>> 9djf3jlovr2bmpkn03e18237njtcorg9rj@4ax.com
>

> That was, in my opinion, a reasonable observation. Nasty humorless
> people DO usually design nasty electronics. Or no electronics.

John Larkin doesn't seem to 'design" anything. He throws together the
stuff he sells like every other tinkerer.

> Please post a schematic or a Spice sim of something that you have
> designed. That would be interesting to discuss.

And rip off. John won't discuss anything - he doesn't seem to know how.

> Electronic design requires some native talent and education and
> experience, but is in the end gated by emotions.

"Gated"? If you are depressed you won't design anything, but there are
lots of different motivations for slinging stuff together and getting it
right. If production ends up with something they can put together and
the sales team ends up with something they can sell, the business of
motivating the designers can be left to them.

Since the salesmen mostly want what they have already got - but smaller,
faster and cheaper, they aren't really to be trusted with the job.

One of my bigger and more interesting projects got messed up because the
boss, who also sold the product, was intent on claiming a 10psec timing
granularity for the timing system in a machine whose narrowest pulse was
500psec wide (we had hopes of getting that down to 100psec, but 10psec
was a decade or so away). 100K ECL limited us to no better than 20psec,
and ECLinPS was not around at that stage, so we bought into Gigabit
Logic's GaAs parts - the project crashed shortly before Gigabit realised
that they were never going to the yield high enough to make money.

It wasn't the only problem his unrealistic ambitions created.

> Engineering schools don't seem to have courses about that, and they should. In fact, the
> academic establishment actively avoids addressing this dominant issue.

They'd have to import talent from the pyschology department to attend to
that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Morton_(cognitive_scientist)

wrote a neat paper on human factors in design, but he an I could never
work out which one was the one I'd read and liked.

> One classic book was The Psychology of Computer Programming by Gerald
> Weinberg. It deals with essentially the same issues, smart people
> behaving badly.

That may have been what John Larkin saw in it.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney