Article <v2pr71$29rhj$2@dont-email.me>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v2pr71$29rhj$2@dont-email.me>

From: "Fred. Zwarts" <F.Zwarts@HetNet.nl>
Newsgroups: comp.theory,sci.logic
Subject: Re: Can you see that D correctly simulated by H remains stuck in
 recursive simulation?
Date: Fri, 24 May 2024 12:46:56 +0200

Op 24.mei.2024 om 03:44 schreef Richard Damon:
> On 5/23/24 1:04 PM, olcott wrote:
>> typedef int (*ptr)();  // ptr is pointer to int function in C
>> 00       int H(ptr p, ptr i);
>> 01       int D(ptr p)
>> 02       {
>> 03         int Halt_Status = H(p, p);
>> 04         if (Halt_Status)
>> 05           HERE: goto HERE;
>> 06         return Halt_Status;
>> 07       }
>> 08
>> 09       int main()
>> 10       {
>> 11         H(D,D);
>> 12         return 0;
>> 13       }
>>
>> The above template refers to an infinite set of H/D pairs where D is
>> correctly simulated by pure function H. This was done because many
>> reviewers used the shell game ploy to endlessly switch which H/D pair
>> was being referred to.
>>
>> *Correct Simulation Defined*
>>     This is provided because every reviewer had a different notion of
>>     correct simulation that diverges from this notion.
>>
>>     A simulator is an x86 emulator that correctly emulates at least one
>>     of the x86 instructions of D in the order specified by the x86
>>     instructions of D.
>>
>>     This may include correctly emulating the x86 instructions of H in
>>     the order specified by the x86 instructions of H thus calling H(D,D)
>>     in recursive simulation.
>>
>> *Execution Trace*
>>     Line 11: main() invokes H(D,D); H(D,D) simulates lines 01, 02, and 03
>>     of D. This invokes H(D,D) again to repeat the process in endless
>>     recursive simulation.
>>

> Questions:
>
> By your definiton of "Correct Simulation", you do realize that you have
> broken connection between the simulaiton not completing and the program
> described by the input not halting?
>
> Also, you do realize that by your requirement on H just being a "pure
> function" that does NOT say that you H qualified to be the computational
> equivalent for a Turing Machine?
>
> That due to your "strange" definition of what D is, you are putting
> yourself outside of the grounds of "Computation Theory", as that deals
> with the behavior of specific PROGRAMS, and not the "Program Templates"
> like your D, our the "Infinite set of H/D pairs"?
>
> Also, your "templagte D" is NOT built per either the Linz or Sipser
> rules, as both of those had D built with a COPY of H, which is one of
> your problems with a "Pure Function" as the equivelent. You have shown
> that your H fails to meet the requirements of a Turing Machine
> equivalent, as you can't (or it seems you can't) make equivalent copies,
> where all copies always give the same answer for the same inputs. This
> is a fundamental property of Turing Machines, which is why just bing a
> "Pure Function" isn't good enough.
>
> These issus need to be handled or acknowledged, before agreement on your
> question, as you have shown a history of taking a statement and twisting
> [...]

If olcott wants to be closer to the Linz or Sipser rules, he could do so
with a small modification: use different names for H. Use H1 when called
by main and use H2 when called by D. H1 and H2 are not required to be
exact copies of each other, but only to be functionally equivalent. By
doing so, a lot of useless discussions could be avoided.