Article <v2pvo9$2ae8o$6@dont-email.me>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v2pvo9$2ae8o$6@dont-email.me>

From: Andrzej Matuch <andrzej@matu.ch>
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: Do Microsoft?sCopilot+ PCs Require Linux?
Date: Fri, 24 May 2024 08:04:25 -0400

On 2024-05-24 3:00 a.m., RonB wrote:
> On 2024-05-24, Andrzej Matuch <andrzej@matu.ch> wrote:

>>> Microsoft had a chance in the business sector with their Windows phones.
>>> They were rolling these out where my brother worked, but found out they
>>> didn't integrate with the company's voice mail system. Microsoft insisted
>>> that it be done their way, when the industry standard was already set
>>> differently. By the time Microsoft decided to accept the industry standard
>>> it was too late. The rollouts had stopped and business had returned their
>>> Windows phones. Microsoft's near monopoly in its OS, and its own hubris
>>> because of this, worked against them in this market.
>>
>> It's part of what I was saying about Microsoft not having an interest in
>> replacing the Windows core with the Linux kernel. Microsoft has no
>> interest in using a superior kernel as long as they have one that's good
>> enough to offer the world which is simultaneously under their complete
>> control. By using Linux, they're handing over control. They won't do that.

>>> I didn't know Spotify was whining. Last I saw they had over twice the market
>>> share of both Apple and Amazon.
>>
>> Probably because some people think that Apple Music also requires Apple
>> hardware. Even without Apple hardware, the sound quality is superior as
>> is the selection.
>
> You would have better ears than I have to tell the difference.

The ears are one thing, but even if you only know about the
specifications, you would know that what Spotify offers can't compete.
Apple's lossy codec is the best there is, so a song encoded at 256kbps
using it will sound magnificent no matter what kind of speakers you use.
If that is not sufficient for you, it also offers lossless at no extra
charge. Meanwhile, the default for Spotify is AAC at 128kbps, using an
inferior codec that is probably the one offered by Nero. High quality
there is 256kbps, more or less on par with what Apple Music offers at
the low end but, again, with a worse encoder. There is no lossless option.

< snip >

--
Andrzej (Andre) Matuch
TG: @AndrzejMatuch