Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v2r92k$2hodo$2@dont-email.me>

From: RonB <ronb02NOSPAM@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: Do Microsoft?sCopilot+ PCs Require Linux?
Date: Fri, 24 May 2024 23:49:41 -0000 (UTC)

On 2024-05-24, Chris Ahlstrom <OFeem1987@teleworm.us> wrote:
> Andrzej Matuch wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:
>
>> On 2024-05-24 3:00 a.m., RonB wrote:
>>> On 2024-05-24, Andrzej Matuch <andrzej@matu.ch> wrote:
>
><brevsnip>

>>> You would have better ears than I have to tell the difference.
>>
>> The ears are one thing, but even if you only know about the
>> specifications, you would know that what Spotify offers can't compete.
>> Apple's lossy codec is the best there is, so a song encoded at 256kbps
>> using it will sound magnificent no matter what kind of speakers you use.
>> If that is not sufficient for you, it also offers lossless at no extra
>> charge. Meanwhile, the default for Spotify is AAC at 128kbps, using an
>> inferior codec that is probably the one offered by Nero. High quality
>> there is 256kbps, more or less on par with what Apple Music offers at
>> the low end but, again, with a worse encoder. There is no lossless option.
>
> But is the "loss" noticeable to human ears?
>
> And if so, does it matter? I enjoy a tune the same whether I listen to it
> through earbuds, $15 logitech speakers, whether in quiet or a bit of
> background noise. Most of musical information is low frequency (under 5 kHz),
> though the harmonics increase that up to maybe 16 kHz.

That's basically where I'm at. Except I don't like the $15 (or $25) Logitech
speakers. I gave mine away and bought some old Harman-Kardon HK195 speakers
(which is I what I used to use). I do notice the difference in quality
compared to Logitech.

--
[Self-centered, Woke] "pride is a life of self-destructive fakery, an
entrapment to a false and self-created matrix of twisted unreality."