Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v2s7r2$2q1o9$1@dont-email.me>

From: Jeroen Belleman <jeroen@nospam.please>
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Subject: Re: Strings that can vibrate forever (almost)
Date: Sat, 25 May 2024 10:36:43 +0200

On 5/25/24 07:04, Jan Panteltje wrote:
> On a sunny day (Thu, 23 May 2024 11:04:02 +0200) it happened Jeroen Belleman
> <jeroen@nospam.please> wrote in <v2n0m9$1m371$2@dont-email.me>:
>
>> On 5/23/24 07:08, Jan Panteltje wrote:
>>> Strings that can vibrate forever (kind of)
>>>     https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2024/05/240522130402.htm
>>> Source:
>>>    Delft University of Technology
>>>    than any previously known solid-state object -- approaching what is currently only achievable near absolute zero
>>>    temperatures.
>>>    Their study pushes the edge of nanotechnology and machine learning to make some of the world's most sensitive mechanical
>>>    sensors.
>>>
>>> Interesting for inertial navigation!
>>>
>>> Mechanical 214 kHz resonator with a Q of 6.6 billion at room temperature
>>>    see paper:
>>>     https://www.nature.com/articles/s41467-024-48183-7
>>>      figure 4
>>>

>> Interesting, indeed, but this looks *very* fragile!
>
> Yes, but maybe not enough free space to move so much it breaks?

As I understand it, if a string touches something, it tends to stick.
That was one of the problems that caused low yields in early devices.

> I just hope they used a Faraday cage and kept it away from other sources and their harmonics in the 214 kHz range.
> Wallwarts! bats? some other piezo stuff.

With a Q > 1e9, coupling to outside influences is by definition
very weak. I don't see this thing becoming important as a low
noise oscillator element though. Pity. Maybe it's useful as a
precision thermometer.

Jeroen Belleman