Article <v2sgp9$2rbb0$5@dont-email.me>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v2sgp9$2rbb0$5@dont-email.me>

From: Andrzej Matuch <andrzej@matu.ch>
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: =?UTF-8?Q?Re=3A_Do_Microsoft=E2=80=99s_Copilot+_PCs_Require_Linux?=
 =?UTF-8?Q?=3F?=
Date: Sat, 25 May 2024 07:07:21 -0400

On 2024-05-24 7:29 p.m., Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
> On Fri, 24 May 2024 07:57:24 -0400, Andrzej Matuch wrote:

>>> They’re losing control over the sheer complexity of Windows as it
>>> stands.
>>
>> This was the same problem they had in the mid-2000s when they rewrote
>> the core and implemented it into Vista. Looking back, they actually did
>> a good job. People forget that the beloved Windows 7 was just an
>> optimized Vista.
>
> Windows 7 was a cleaned-up Vista. (Also see: “Windows Mojave”.)
>
> Remember why Vista was late: the big reason was because somebody had the
> bright idea to reimplement core parts of Windows in Dotnet. This turned to
> be terrible in terms of resource usage (RAM, CPU etc). So they had to rip
> all that code out and start again.
>
> Even with that, they still couldn’t do things efficiently in Windows that
> Linux can do, and that still applies today.

Well, the mobile hardware I used between 2006 and 2009 definitely ran
better with Linux than it did with Windows. I used to use it exclusively
at work because the free tools it offered, like Devede, were fabulous
for what I was trying to do. I recall that the hardware itself allowed
me to install either open or proprietary drivers for the AMD GPU and I
couldn't tell the difference between both. I imagine that AMD's drivers
weren't open then, but the open ones worked just as well.

>>> Look at the ongoing quality problems with Windows releases. Delegating
>>> functions to Linux would actually be a way of regaining that control.
>>
>> When referring to quality, what exactly are you pointing at? The
>> security problems? Updates breaking the desktop?
>
> Buggy updates, and buggy patches to fix those updates, requiring more
> patches to fix the previous patches.

There is no denying that.

>> The desktop experience itself is rather stellar.
>
> With new “UI paradigms” introduced in one part but not used in another
> part? With the inability to properly support multiple desktops, which *nix
> systems have been doing for years, nay, decades? With a UI that is not
> adaptable enough to compete with the Linux-based Steam Deck for handheld
> gaming? With the advertisements gradually seeping into every part of the
> desktop?

The advertisements are definitely an issue, but not as big as the
privacy nightmare they're introducing. The way those advertisements are
presented, it feels as though there would be no way of competing with
Microsoft in areas such as office software.

--
Andrzej (Andre) Matuch
TG: @AndrzejMatuch