Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v2shqg$2rr98$1@dont-email.me>

From: Phil Hobbs <pcdhSpamMeSenseless@electrooptical.net>
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Subject: Re: Strings that can vibrate forever (almost)
Date: Sat, 25 May 2024 11:25:04 -0000 (UTC)

Jeroen Belleman <jeroen@nospam.please> wrote:
> On 5/25/24 07:04, Jan Panteltje wrote:
>> On a sunny day (Thu, 23 May 2024 11:04:02 +0200) it happened Jeroen Belleman
>> <jeroen@nospam.please> wrote in <v2n0m9$1m371$2@dont-email.me>:

>>> Interesting, indeed, but this looks *very* fragile!
>>
>> Yes, but maybe not enough free space to move so much it breaks?
>
> As I understand it, if a string touches something, it tends to stick.
> That was one of the problems that caused low yields in early devices.
>

>> I just hope they used a Faraday cage and kept it away from other sources
>> and their harmonics in the 214 kHz range.
>> Wallwarts! bats? some other piezo stuff.
>
> With a Q > 1e9, coupling to outside influences is by definition
> very weak. I don't see this thing becoming important as a low
> noise oscillator element though. Pity. Maybe it's useful as a
> precision thermometer.
>
> Jeroen Belleman

Possibly some sort of sensor.

Because the oscillation obeys a differential equation, while it takes Q
cycles to respond to external forcing,it responds instantly to any effect
that changes the mass or spring constant.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs  Principal Consultant  ElectroOptical Innovations LLC /
Hobbs ElectroOptics  Optics, Electro-optics, Photonics, Analog Electronics