Article <v2sis5$2s0md$1@dont-email.me>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v2sis5$2s0md$1@dont-email.me>

From: olcott <polcott333@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: comp.lang.c
Subject: Re: Can you see that D correctly simulated by H remains stuck in
 recursive simulation?
Date: Sat, 25 May 2024 06:42:59 -0500

On 5/25/2024 4:59 AM, Mikko wrote:
> On 2024-05-24 16:57:36 +0000, olcott said:

>>> The case can be simplified even more (D is not needed):
>>>

>> We are ONLY asking about whether D correctly simulated by pure
>> function H can possibly reach its own final state at line 06 and halt.
>>
>> Because H is a pure function we know that H halts.
>
> We don't know that H halts. The OP said the opposite:

The above references *pure function* H thus we do know
that the spec *requires* H to halt.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pure_function

> On 2024-05-23 16:52:21 +0000, olcott said:
>> *Execution Trace*
>> Line 11: main() invokes H(D,D); H(D,D) simulates lines 01, 02, and 03 of
>> D. This invokes H(D,D) again to repeat the process in endless recursive
>> simulation.
>
> To repeat in endless recursve simulation makes halting impossible.
> Apparently OP's interpretation of "pure function" does not imply
> halting.

Every H is required to halt and return a value.
To make things simple every H returns the meaningless 56.
It is endless recursive simulation until H halts.

I had to refer to endless recursive simulation so that people
could get the gist of what is going on while hardly paying any
attention at all.

The reason that I had to add that H is a pure function is that
Richard tried to cheat using static local data. Prior to that
there was no requirement that H halt.