Article <v2todb$32822$11@dont-email.me>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v2todb$32822$11@dont-email.me>

From: Andrzej Matuch <andrzej@matu.ch>
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: "The first Copilot+ PC has been tested and it destroys the
 MacBook"
Date: Sat, 25 May 2024 18:23:39 -0400

On 2024-05-25 1:58 p.m., chrisv wrote:
> Andrzej Matuch wrote:
>
>> As an end-user, it should be the same to me. However, even I think that
>> x86-64 needs to go. Considering how far they are able to go with ARM in
>> terms of extending battery life, cutting power consumption and removing
>> the need for cooling, it only makes sense. It should especially be of
>> interest to hippies if they are truly concerned about society's general
>> energy usage.
>
> I think that with x86-64 going to the big.little architecture, it
> should remain competitive in the power department.  In general use,
> the efficient cores will doing almost all the work.

The x86-64 architecture isn't going anywhere because Intel and AMD have
invested too heavily into it. Its demise will come when people stop
considering chips by those two companies. That will only happen when the
disadvantages of using processors by either corporation become too
obvious to ignore.

--
Andrzej (Andre) Matuch
TG: @AndrzejMatuch