Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v2unfe$3alds$1@dont-email.me>

From: jak <nospam@please.ty>
Newsgroups: comp.lang.c
Subject: Re: C23 thoughts and opinions
Date: Sun, 26 May 2024 09:13:51 +0200

Bonita Montero ha scritto:
> Am 24.05.2024 um 09:32 schrieb jak:
>> Bonita Montero ha scritto:
>>>>

>>> No, C.
>>
>> I think you have a lot of confusion about programming languages. C and
>> C++ are not comparable languages.
>
> C and C++ have a lot in common since 95% of what you can do you can do
> in C++ also in the same way. But C++ puts 500% on top of that to solve
> your tasks with a fraction of the code and if you use that the code
> looks totally different than C.

About this I only agree partially because it depends a lot on the
context in which it is used. Moreover, I would not know how to indicate
an optimal programming language for all seasons.

>> I'm pretty convinced that c++ will be abandoned long before c.
>
> Maybe, but for sure not in favour of C.

I absolutely agree with you.

>> Just for one example, c++ would be abandoned years ago if c# didn't
>> produce CLI code only because C# lacks nothing important than C++
>> and the learning curve is much steeper (it also benefits from
>> reflection).
>
> Being a good C++ programmer needs a lot of experience, but if you've
> done that you get a magnitude more productivity. And often you decide
> for simple approaches in C because complex approaches are a lot of work.
> Often this complex and more efficient approach is easy to handle in C++
> if you managed to understand the language.

What you describe is the greatest inconvenience of c++. To make only one
example, when they decided to rewrite the FB platform to accelerate it,
they thought of migrating from php to c++ and they had a collapse of the
staff suitable for work, so they thought of relying a compiler that
translated the php into c++ and many of the new languages were born to
try to remedy hits complexity.