Article <v2vbd2$3do2m$1@dont-email.me>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v2vbd2$3do2m$1@dont-email.me>

From: RonB <ronb02NOSPAM@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: Another GNU/Linux Video Extravaganza!
Date: Sun, 26 May 2024 12:53:54 -0000 (UTC)

On 2024-05-25, Stéphane CARPENTIER <sc@fiat-linux.fr> wrote:
> Le 25-05-2024, Diego Garcia <dg@chaos.rocks> a écrit :
>>
>> colavid.mp4
>
> Once again, thanks for the good laugh (in the beginning, I didn't looked
> at everything because it becomes boring). With this video, you proved,
> once again, that I'm ten times faster than you.
>
> First, when you are writing the name of a directory in your terminal,
> you should use your [TAB] key: it's faster and it would avoid you to
> misspell it (and the need to write it a second time).
>
> Second, why do you use a terminal to launch GUI applications? I know,
> it's because you are unable to configure your menu. It shows because it
> takes you forever to find your applications in it. You should learn how
> to configure it.
>
> I never launch a GUI program from a terminal because it's inefficient.
> When you do it, you show me how I'm right about it.
>
> When you launch your GUI applications from the terminal, you have two
> issues. And that takes forever. The first one is you need to move it on
> another workspace, you do it with your mouse and it's slow (and when you
> loose the focus and interact with another application, it's fun to see
> how you struggle to do basic things). And second, when your application
> is on your right workspace, you need to resize it. Which takes you
> forever a second time.
>
> When you launch something every day, it should be very fast and your way
> is very slow. I don't need a mouse driven menu, but for a GUI lackey
> like you, you should configure it to suit your needs and to be
> efficient.
>
> You would have the support of the -highthorse here because he will say
> that the professional designers who provided you the menu know better
> than you how you should use your computer. But he's a brain dead moron
> unable to see how your use of tools designed by others is inefficient,
> so it doesn't count.

I don't use the mouse to launch GUI applications from the terminal. If I
want to open a Trelby document (as an example) I do the following.

Shift-Control-M to open a terminal

.. trel _name_

And I'm editing my file.

If I don't know the name of the document I want to edit, I run...

lst trel

....and all my Trelby documents are listed.

If I want to start a new document...

.. trel _newname_

And I'm editing the document.

trel shell script

#!/bin/bash
clear
trelby ~/Documents/scripts/$1.trelby 2>/dev/null &
exit

The lst script is relatively long because I use it for several different
file extensions (some with more than one option and some in specific
directories).

case $1 in
   txt)
     echo "--------------------"
     ls *.txt
     echo "--------------------"
     ;;
   ltxt)
     echo "--------------------"
     ls -tl *.txt
     echo "--------------------"
     ;;
   n)
     echo "--------------------"
     ls -pB | grep -v \\. | grep -v /
     echo "--------------------"
     ;;
   pdf)
     echo "--------------------"
     ls *.pdf
     echo "--------------------"
     ;;
   lpdf)
     echo "--------------------"
     ls -tlr *.pdf
     echo "--------------------"
     ;;
   trel)
     echo "--------------------"
     ls *.trelby
     echo "--------------------"
     ;;
   a)
     echo "--------------------"
     ls --color
     echo "--------------------"
     ;;
   fount)
     echo "--------------------"
     ls *.fountain
     echo "--------------------"
     ;;
   lfount)
     echo "--------------------"
     ls -tlr *.fountain
     echo "--------------------"
     ;;
   fdx)
     echo "--------------------"
     ls *.fdx
     echo "--------------------"
     ;;
   html)
     echo "--------------------"
     ls *.html
     echo "--------------------"
     ;;
   fade)
     echo "--------------------"
     ls -tlr *.fadein
     echo "--------------------"
     ;;
   note)
     echo "--------------------"
     cd ~/Documents/notes
     ls *.txt
     echo "--------------------"
     ;;
   doc)
     echo "--------------------"
     cd ~/Documents/docs
     ls *.txt
     echo "--------------------"
     ;;
   adoc)
     echo "--------------------"
     cd ~/Documents/html
     ls *.adoc
     echo "--------------------"
     ls *.html
     echo "--------------------"
     ;;
   d)
     echo "--------------------"
     cd ~/Documents/words
     ls *.txt
     echo "--------------------"
     ;;
   j)
     echo "--------------------"
     cd ~/afterlabs
     ls *.json
     echo "--------------------"
     ;;
   tel)
     echo "---------------------"
     cd ~/Documents/tel
     ls *.txt
     ;;
   *)
     echo "No match"
     ;;
esac

--
[Self-centered, Woke] "pride is a life of self-destructive fakery, an