Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v30bo1$3knf2$1@dont-email.me>

From: Jeroen Belleman <jeroen@nospam.please>
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Subject: Re: CO2 Funny
Date: Mon, 27 May 2024 00:07:54 +0200
 <mssr4jh13hf2p7deu8phdkkda50roask0p@4ax.com> <v2ktll$17293$1@dont-email.me>
 <o61s4jhh7krhb55lo3c40r5mn2f9nkk1n3@4ax.com>
 <2k9s4j94256k6gbapd5snscqosn3b53ici@4ax.com>
 <aebs4j5fhoja2c3q718r4l7dqh9gp28sj6@4ax.com> <v2na16$1nvei$1@dont-email.me>
 <v2tb6t$tve$1@nnrp.usenet.blueworldhosting.com>
 <v2uhs7$39s6m$1@dont-email.me>
 <v2vul6$1ke5$1@nnrp.usenet.blueworldhosting.com>
 <f9a75jt01evpresfq5ke5rqmuchgbdab1b@4ax.com>

On 5/26/24 23:31, john larkin wrote:
> On Sun, 26 May 2024 14:22:28 -0400, "Edward Rawde"
> <invalid@invalid.invalid> wrote:

>>> I got into electronics while a I was doing a Ph.D. physical chemistry. Win Hill started a Ph.D. in chemical physics, but had better
>>> advisors.
>>
>>> Getting things working is always important, but understanding the detail of what's going on can be vital to getting them to work
>>> well.
>>
>> So both of these are needed if you want the best design.
>
> Not really. Understanding at some level can help a lot, but it's not
> necessary. Besides, we don't actually understand what we're doing, all
> the way down to the quantum mechanics.

You have to choose the abstraction level appropriate for the task
at hand. I you choose wrong, it will only bog you down. For most
discrete designs, you don't need a very detailed understanding of
semiconductor physics, but you have to know the device
characteristics. For opamp or logic designs, you don't need the
characteristics of the devices that compose an opamp or a logic
gate. For FPGA logic design, you hardly need to understand logic
gates anymore. To program a computer, you don't need to understand
CPU architecture. And on it goes.

Jeroen Belleman

(Give a researcher the task of banging in a nail. First he'll study
hammers. Before you know it, he'll be studying advanced metallurgy.)