Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v314ac$3su4i$1@dont-email.me>

From: Bill Sloman <bill.sloman@ieee.org>
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Subject: Re: CO2 Funny
Date: Mon, 27 May 2024 15:05:14 +1000
 <v2i77o$juul$1@dont-email.me> <2lep4j1lvsiathlf5mu1sov52fkppten50@4ax.com>
 <umlp4j9524l9e78g7meedtvkjccnt5kki3@4ax.com>
 <t8mp4jh04424mgcgkhc5akgkb5fji707lu@4ax.com>
 <54np4j5eq0gga4u24i69i6sechie1ohcjd@4ax.com>
 <ionp4jpskmjj3t5ge13jtvbmg6n3g0m738@4ax.com>
 <mssr4jh13hf2p7deu8phdkkda50roask0p@4ax.com> <v2ktll$17293$1@dont-email.me>
 <o61s4jhh7krhb55lo3c40r5mn2f9nkk1n3@4ax.com>
 <2k9s4j94256k6gbapd5snscqosn3b53ici@4ax.com>
 <aebs4j5fhoja2c3q718r4l7dqh9gp28sj6@4ax.com> <v2na16$1nvei$1@dont-email.me>
 <v2tb6t$tve$1@nnrp.usenet.blueworldhosting.com>
 <v2uhs7$39s6m$1@dont-email.me>
 <v2vul6$1ke5$1@nnrp.usenet.blueworldhosting.com>

On 27/05/2024 4:22 am, Edward Rawde wrote:
> "Bill Sloman" <bill.sloman@ieee.org> wrote in message news:v2uhs7$39s6m$1@dont-email.me...

<snip>

>> It usually takes a while to work out why they did it that way, and it's pretty much essential to spend that time before you start
>> fiddling with the circuit. That wasn't true of the guy who'd put in the 741. He was very much in the John Larkin "if it sort of
>> works, ship it" camp.
>
> Which of John Larkin's products have you purchased and tested and what improvement
> do you think should have been made before it was shipped?

Absolutely none of them. The timing gear he sells to the American
National Ignition Facility is based on a 1978 Hewlett Packard scheme,
written up in their journal, and it depends on starting up a 50MHz
free-running oscillator in a very predictable way.

Faster oscillators have less jitter, and while synchronising to a
continuously running faster oscillator twice may introduce extra jitter,
the net jitter on the time delay can be quite a bit less.

I had much the same problem in 1988 and went for a free-running 800MHz
oscillator.

It turns out that the first version of John's 50MHz oscillator had a
nasty - if small - sub-harmonic oscillation and he's finally found a
better version.

>> Management liked him because he was quick. Production was less enthusiastic.
>
> Management likely expected that problems would be found which would have to be dealt with at a later time.

I got to cleanup his mess ten years later, and only because some of the
parts he had used had gone obsolete.

It didn't mention another error - his 741 had to drive a few metres of
shielded pair, which was a big enough capacitative load to make it
oscillate, to which his solution had been to hang on a 100uF
electrolytic, so the oscillation was at too low an amplitude to be
visible. There's a standard solution for that - National Semiconductor
Applications note AN-4 Fig.14. which he should have known about.

I'd certainly had to deal with it more than ten years earlier

>> Would you be kind enough to give your opinion of John Larkin once per month instead of twice per day?
>
>> When he starts claiming to do electronic design once a month rather than twice a day.
>
> I still don't see why it matters so much when the two of you are in different countries and, correct me if I'm wrong,
> you've never used or tested any of JL's products.

One of his standard insults is to claim that his critics don't design stuff.

> You can't deny that JL has a successful business.
> Whether his business would be more successful if he adopted different design techniques is not something I wish to go into
> because it simply doesn't matter to me.

He's the electronic equivalent of a vanity publisher. He give people who
can't design their own electronics, bespoke electronic solutions to the
problems that they think they have. I did a bit of that at Nijmegen
University in the Netherlands, and most of what I found myself doing was
getting people to recognise that they had a standard problem for which
they could buy a standard solution off the shelf.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney