Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v31v0v$mni$8@dont-email.me>

From: Andrzej Matuch <andrzej@matu.ch>
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: "The first Copilot+ PC has been tested and it destroys the
 MacBook"
Date: Mon, 27 May 2024 08:41:00 -0400

On 2024-05-26 10:15 p.m., RonB wrote:

>>> I haven't sold anything on eBay for a while now. They've got everything
>>> against the small seller.
>>
>> It's precisely that. You'll put your item up for sale or a price, do
>> your best to be as accurate as possible, but you're at the mercy of the
>> buyer who will claim that there's a scratch, dent or whatever which
>> wasn't mentioned in the original ad. At best, they'll want a small
>> refund. At worst, they'll demand a complete refund but never send your
>> item back. People really have to be careful not to refund until they've
>> received their item back because people are definitely gaming the
>> system. In fact, that's what happened with this buyer whose behaviour
>> was sketchy from the beginning. He claimed there was a dent, wanted a
>> complete refund, didn't get his money back immediately because I
>> researched him and found out that he once never returned a laptop and
>> some music device, so he settled for a small rebate because he realized
>> that I wasn't going to allow him to have the machine for free.
>
> The last thing I sold on eBay was a cell phone. It was like new. (I didn't
> like it so it went into the box for about a year.) The person who bought it
> gave it to his father. The buyer said it didn't work. I repeatedly asked
> him, what's not working on it? Finally he said, his father "didn't like it."
> I told him I didn't refund for buyer's remorse. eBay had other ideas and
> forced me to take it back, so I had to buy postage. Somehow they sent it
> back to the wrong address. I told eBay I never got it back, they said it was
> "delivered" and deducted the full price. So not only did I give away my
> phone, I paid for shipping both ways.
>
> By the time you pay the fees and shipping it's definitely not worth the
> hassle (even if you do get paid).

That is apparently a common scam. I am glad that I didn't have to suffer
that problem. However, I will never use eBay for selling again.

>>> I think kids are so used to not listening to anyone (including their
>>> parents) that they become genuinely shocked when someone actually forces
>>> them to do what they're told or obey the rules.
>>
>> Yep, and they're not used to the fact that some teachers (me) don't mind
>> confronting them about their idiotic behaviour. Many of my co-workers
>> not only never show up for their monitoring duty (and I assume they
>> never get penalized either), but they do a half-assed job if they do.
>> They apply none of the rules, don't move from their initial position
>> (guaranteeing that someone will do something idiotic), and turn a blind
>> eye to kids using their phones right in front of them because they don't
>> want to be the bad guy. When the kids see that I am in their face and
>> that I don't care that they feel disrespected by my approach, they are
>> genuinely shocked.
>
> What's funny is that often is the teachers who maintain discipline who are
> remembered well once kids grow up. It's the teachers who want to be the
> kids' "buddies" who are ridiculed. (At least that's the way it was when I
> went to school — many years ago.)

I tell my students all the time that I am not desperate enough to want
their friendship and that I truly don't care whether they like me or
not. I am doing a job and paid to do it well. If they want a friend,
they can go to the park.

--
Andrzej (Andre) Matuch
TG: @AndrzejMatuch