Article <v339kr$29dee$3@i2pn2.org>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v339kr$29dee$3@i2pn2.org>

From: Richard Damon <richard@damon-family.org>
Newsgroups: comp.theory,sci.logic
Subject: =?UTF-8?Q?Re=3A_A_simulating_halt_decider_applied_to_the_The_Peter_?=
 =?UTF-8?Q?Linz_Turing_Machine_description_=E2=9F=A8=C4=A4=E2=9F=A9?=
Date: Mon, 27 May 2024 20:48:27 -0400
 <v2vpt6$3g0m3$3@dont-email.me> <v2vqou$26570$5@i2pn2.org>
 <v2vrcl$3gakv$1@dont-email.me> <v2vslp$26570$6@i2pn2.org>
 <v301m6$3hcgb$1@dont-email.me> <v305j9$26571$1@i2pn2.org>
 <v30e5l$3lerc$1@dont-email.me> <v30fbr$26570$9@i2pn2.org>
 <v30hiq$3lv80$1@dont-email.me> <v30jb5$26571$2@i2pn2.org>
 <v30pr8$3r67p$1@dont-email.me> <v30rvv$3riij$1@dont-email.me>
 <v30t8u$26571$6@i2pn2.org> <v30u04$3rour$1@dont-email.me>
 <v30upc$26571$7@i2pn2.org> <v30vp3$3s4od$1@dont-email.me>
 <v321o0$28n58$1@i2pn2.org> <v3255k$2pkb$2@dont-email.me>
 <v326fd$28n59$2@i2pn2.org> <v327h8$3a17$1@dont-email.me>
 <v328l1$28n58$2@i2pn2.org> <v329t8$3mh0$2@dont-email.me>
 <v32ait$28n58$4@i2pn2.org> <v32bvc$48pj$1@dont-email.me>
 <v32cko$2937i$1@i2pn2.org> <v32nsa$6fo3$1@dont-email.me>
 <v32tfs$29dee$1@i2pn2.org> <v331mf$84p2$1@dont-email.me>
 <v332ci$29def$2@i2pn2.org> <v33790$8u5p$1@dont-email.me>
 <v337r0$29dee$2@i2pn2.org> <v338c5$94g8$1@dont-email.me>

On 5/27/24 8:26 PM, olcott wrote:
> On 5/27/2024 7:17 PM, Richard Damon wrote:

>>> When Ĥ is applied to ⟨Ĥ⟩
>>> Ĥ.q0 ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⊢* embedded_H ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⊢* Ĥ.qy ∞
>>> Ĥ.q0 ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⊢* embedded_H ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⊢* Ĥ.qn
>>>
>>> In other words Linz did not prove that there are no set
>>> of state transitions specified by ⊢* that derives the
>>> correct halt status of ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⟨Ĥ⟩.
>>>
>>> He only said there there is one specific machine that
>>> gets the wrong answer.
>>>

>> He STARTS with a proof that one specific (but arbitrary) machine gets
>> the wrong answer.
>>
>> Then he shows that the same proof can be applied to ANY such machine
>> (becaue the proof didn't depend on any specific details of the
>> machine, just the general properties of that machine)
>>
>> I guess you don't understand how to do categorical proofs.
>>

> I totally do. Can you please write down the
> "completely specified state transition/tape operation table."
> of this specific (thus uniquely identifiable) machine I would
> really like to see it.

But it was proven that no such machine exists!

Remember, the proof starts with the hypothetical that such a machine
exists. Such a machine WOULD HAVE a completely specified state
transition/tape operation table.

(The fact you ask the question means you don't understand the method of
proof).

Given the assumption of such a machine, we can show how to construct the
H^ machine to test it with.

We can then show that, whatever the actual behavior of the machine H, it
will be wrong.

Thus we proved that machine didn't meet the requirements.