Article <v33iqc$ebbg$1@dont-email.me>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v33iqc$ebbg$1@dont-email.me>

From: olcott <polcott333@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: comp.theory,sci.logic
Subject: =?UTF-8?Q?Re=3A_A_simulating_halt_decider_applied_to_the_The_Peter_?=
 =?UTF-8?Q?Linz_Turing_Machine_description_=E2=9F=A8=C4=A4=E2=9F=A9?=
Date: Mon, 27 May 2024 22:24:59 -0500
 <v2vo5h$26570$3@i2pn2.org> <v2vpt6$3g0m3$3@dont-email.me>
 <v2vqou$26570$5@i2pn2.org> <v2vrcl$3gakv$1@dont-email.me>
 <v2vslp$26570$6@i2pn2.org> <v301m6$3hcgb$1@dont-email.me>
 <v305j9$26571$1@i2pn2.org> <v30e5l$3lerc$1@dont-email.me>
 <v30fbr$26570$9@i2pn2.org> <v30hiq$3lv80$1@dont-email.me>
 <v30jb5$26571$2@i2pn2.org> <v30pr8$3r67p$1@dont-email.me>
 <v30rvv$3riij$1@dont-email.me> <v30t8u$26571$6@i2pn2.org>
 <v30u04$3rour$1@dont-email.me> <v30upc$26571$7@i2pn2.org>
 <v30vp3$3s4od$1@dont-email.me> <v321o0$28n58$1@i2pn2.org>
 <v3255k$2pkb$2@dont-email.me> <v326fd$28n59$2@i2pn2.org>
 <v327h8$3a17$1@dont-email.me> <v328l1$28n58$2@i2pn2.org>
 <v329t8$3mh0$2@dont-email.me> <v32ait$28n58$4@i2pn2.org>
 <v32bvc$48pj$1@dont-email.me> <v32cko$2937i$1@i2pn2.org>
 <v32nsa$6fo3$1@dont-email.me> <v32tfs$29dee$1@i2pn2.org>
 <v331mf$84p2$1@dont-email.me> <v332ci$29def$2@i2pn2.org>
 <v33790$8u5p$1@dont-email.me> <v337r0$29dee$2@i2pn2.org>

On 5/27/2024 7:17 PM, Richard Damon wrote:

>>> Mostly.
>>>
>>> There doesn't need to be a unique finite string, but it is a 100%
>>> completely specified state transition/tape operation table.
>>>

>> When Ĥ is applied to ⟨Ĥ⟩
>> Ĥ.q0 ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⊢* embedded_H ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⊢* Ĥ.qy ∞
>> Ĥ.q0 ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⊢* embedded_H ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⊢* Ĥ.qn
>>
>> In other words Linz did not prove that there are no set
>> of state transitions specified by ⊢* that derives the
>> correct halt status of ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⟨Ĥ⟩.
>>
>> He only said there there is one specific machine that
>> gets the wrong answer.
>>

> He STARTS with a proof that one specific (but arbitrary) machine gets
> the wrong answer.

*Not exactly, you are misreading this*

The domain of this problem is to be taken as the set of all Turing
machines and all w; that is, we are looking for a single Turing machine
that, given the description of an arbitrary M and w, will predict
whether or not the computation of M applied to w will halt.

Proof: We assume the contrary, namely that there exists an algorithm,
and consequently some Turing machine H, that solves the halting problem
https://www.liarparadox.org/Peter_Linz_HP_317-320.pdf

Ordinary existential quantification looks for at least one
element not exactly one element:

Does at least one Turing machine exist of the infinite set
of all Turing machines ...

So like I have always said, the second ⊢* specifies
an infinite set of Turing machines.

When Ĥ is applied to ⟨Ĥ⟩
Ĥ.q0 ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⊢* embedded_H ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⊢* Ĥ.qy ∞
Ĥ.q0 ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⊢* embedded_H ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⊢* Ĥ.qn