Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v34i8l$jca2$1@dont-email.me>

From: "R.Wieser" <address@is.invalid>
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Re: ebook-reader permissions - no explanation given
Date: Tue, 28 May 2024 14:21:28 +0200

Andrew,

> I'm not sure what was happening, but it may be important to note that I
> downloaded the epub files from Windows and merely copied them to the
> sdcard,

Pretty-much the same here, though I copied them to internal memory - though
into a folder I created for it.

> where, without asking for permissions, the epub reader found them.

In my case I have to select "open file" from the hamburger menu and find the
file itself.  There does not seem to be a way to point it to a specific
folder (or if there is I've not found it yet).

> It was odd that no permissions were ever requested, but that's why I would
> like others to test it out as maybe it's just the way my Android is set
> up.

I did not see any permission dialog either, but the images and sounds where
automatically disabled.  Sensors where enabled though.  In the end I
disabled everything (just to see what would happen).

The most strange (to me) thing is that no *file* permissions where asked,
and although I enabled something called a "storage scope" for the app and
pointed it to a specific folder and files in it, the reader has zero
problems with opening text and html files from other folders.  Quite
unexpected.

Regards,
Rudy Wieser