Article <v34n4h$k64m$1@dont-email.me>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v34n4h$k64m$1@dont-email.me>

From: Chris Ahlstrom <OFeem1987@teleworm.us>
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: Do =?UTF-8?Q?Microsoft=E2=80=99s?= Copilot+ PCs Require Linux?
Date: Tue, 28 May 2024 09:44:48 -0400
 <v2pdu5$27a5s$1@dont-email.me> <v2pvo9$2ae8o$6@dont-email.me>
 <v2r8se$2hodo$1@dont-email.me> <v2rg11$2i2hv$6@dont-email.me>
 <Jeff-Relf.Me@May.24--8.34pm.Seattle.2024>
 <dd545j9s32ugnbptlsp0pd6anbpjlh9j0h@4ax.com>
 <9s645j1pehkhdkc7kjj3hbp2nnu93c4mfc@4ax.com>
 <66523fb2$0$1258345$882e4bbb@reader.netnews.com>
 <v2u2cj$33vus$1@dont-email.me> <v2v9fr$3daer$4@dont-email.me>
 <v2vc53$3dkln$3@dont-email.me> <v30g0c$3lhel$3@dont-email.me>
 <v31s7c$mni$6@dont-email.me> <v33c8n$ddl1$5@dont-email.me>
 <8Bj5O.46451$HBac.19795@fx15.iad>

Andrzej Matuch wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:

> On 2024-05-27 9:33 p.m., Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

>>> Linux, still. The XP users went to 7 once they could and upgraded their
>>> machines.
>>
>> Really? Windows 7? Is that the best the poor things could do?
>
> Are you purposefully dense? I'm going in chronological order.
>
> Those who had machines which could capably run Windows XP did so until
> 2014 when Microsoft stopped supporting the product. At that point, if
> they saw the lack of support as a problem, they upgraded their machines
> to one running 7 or 8.1. They didn't say "let me hold onto this 2001
> machine and run some shit Linux distribution on it."

Or they did what the Navy did around 2015:

    https://www.zdnet.com/article/us-navy-pays-out-millions-to-microsoft-to-keep-running-windows-xp/

--
"Good afternoon, madam.  How may I help you?"

"Good afternoon.  I'd like a FrintArms HandCannon, please."

"A--?  Oh, now, that's an awfully big gun for such a lovely lady.  I
mean, not everybody thinks ladies should carry guns at all, though I
say they have a right to.  But I think... I might... Let's have a look
down here.  I might have just the thing for you.  Yes, here we are!
Look at that, isn't it neat?  Now that is a FrintArms product as well,
but it's what's called a laser -- a light-pistol some people call
them.  Very small, as you see; fits easily into a pocket or bag; won't
spoil the line of a jacket; and you won't feel you're lugging half a
tonne of iron around with you.  We do a range of matching accessories,
including -- if I may say so -- a rather saucy garter holster.  Wish I
got to do the fitting for that!  Ha -- just my little joke.  And
there's *even*... here we are -- this special presentation pack: gun,
charged battery, charging unit, beautiful glider-hide shoulder holster
with adjustable fitting and contrast stitching, and a discount on your
next battery.  Full instructions, of course, and a voucher for free
lessons at your local gun club or range.  Or there's the *special*
presentation pack; it has all the other one's got but with *two*
charged batteries and a night-sight, too.  Here, feel that -- don't
worry, it's a dummy battery -- isn't it neat?  Feel how light it is?
Smooth, see?  No bits to stick out and catch on your clothes, *and*
beautifully balanced.  And of course the beauty of a laser is, there's
no recoil.  Because it's shooting light, you see?  Beautiful gun,
beautiful gun; my wife has one.  Really.  That's not a line, she
really has.  Now, I can do you that one -- with a battery and a free
charge -- for ninety-five; or the presentation pack on a special
offer for one-nineteen; or this, the special presentation pack, for
one-forty-nine."

"I'll take the special."

"Sound choice, madam, *sound* choice.  Now, do--?"

"And a HandCannon, with the eighty-mill silencer, five GP clips, three
six-five AP/wire-fl'echettes clips, two bipropellant HE clips, and a
Special Projectile Pack if you have one -- the one with the embedding
rounds, not the signalers.  I assume the night-sight on this toy is
compatible?"

"Aah... yes,  And how does madam wish to pay?"

She slapped her credit card on the counter.  "Eventually."

		-- Iain M. Banks, "Against a Dark Background"