Article <v365ed$vpq9$1@dont-email.me>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v365ed$vpq9$1@dont-email.me>

From: Frank Krygowski <frkrygow@sbcglobal.net>
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Subject: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Riding after heavy manual labor
Date: Tue, 28 May 2024 22:55:05 -0400

On 5/28/2024 5:17 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
> On Mon May 27 21:26:40 2024 Frank Krygowski  wrote:
>>
>> I'm with Zen on this. I've been mowing lawns (reluctantly, when I can't
>> hire a teenager to do it) for at least sixty years. I've never seen
>> suction sufficient to draw a mower bag into the blades.
>>
>> I think it's more likely you simply ran over the bag, not looking where
>> you were going. I suppose that's how you lost your toe to the mower as
>> well.
>>
>> (True story, folks.)
>
> Why don't you invent something else that I supposedly said? What I ACTUALLY said is that I tilted the mower by hitting a patch of heavy grass, the bag which is very poorly connected slipped into the blades which pulled the bag in with the mechanical force of the motor.

Sorry, I don't see where you said that. Your initial statement was this:
"... it was sucked into the blades..." and then you began spinning tales
of large aerodynamic forces.

> And as no surprise you feel the need to lie about by severed toe which was from a lawn mower with a side attached bag. The mower hit a rock hidden by the long grass, rotated front down and rear up and I stepped directly into the moving blades.

Whatever, Tom. We've long since learned that almost everything you say
spouts from your imagination. The true part of that story is,
apparently, that you did manage to cut your toe off. Only a tiny
percentage of people have been that clumsy, careless, uncoordinated,
stupid or whatever.

> Tell us all Frank, WHAT inflates the grass catcher bag and how does that work? You seem to be an expert on all these things and claim that the mower blades are not designed as an aerodynamic propeller to lift the grass up for an even trim.

Actually, I never said that. To this point, I haven't taken a position
on aerodynamic lift of grass blades. But I don't believe there is very
much suction into the perimeter of a mower deck.

And I don't believe that it's necessary for airflow to lift the grass.
Decades ago, on our British bike tour, we visited Urquhart Castle on
Loch Ness in Scotland. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urquhart_Castle
The castle ruins have extensive lawns with some steep slopes. I was
interested to see a groundskeeper mowing one of the slopes with a
no-wheels, hovering lawn mower.

This may be the mower he used:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgTYG4IiJpk  Tom, pay special attention
between 0:35 and 1:00.  Apparently, that mower and its kin
https://www.toro.com/en-ca/golf/specialty-equipment
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpWdz9Pepf8
do just fine with the airflow opposite of what you claim is necessary.

Based on that, plus your many other story inconsistencies, I believe you
ran over the mower bag. Please do note, I'm being more charitable than
Jeff. I'm at least believing you own a mower. I hope you also own a pair
of steel toed work shoes!

--
- Frank Krygowski