Article <v368je$100kd$3@dont-email.me>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v368je$100kd$3@dont-email.me>

From: olcott <polcott333@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: comp.theory,sci.logic
Subject: Re: D correctly simulated by H cannot possibly halt --- templates and
 infinite sets
Date: Tue, 28 May 2024 22:49:02 -0500

On 5/28/2024 10:38 PM, Richard Damon wrote:

>>> But since for x being the description of the H^ built from that H and
>>> y being the same, it turns out that no matter what answer H gives, it
>>> will be wrong.
>>>

>> We have not gotten to that point yet this post is so that
>> you can fully understand what templates are and how they work.
>
> But note, x, being a Turing Machine, is NOT a "template"
>
> And H, isn't a "set of Turing Machines", but an arbitrary member of that
> set, so all we need to do is find a single x, y, possible determined as
> a function of H (so, BUILT from a template, but not a template
> themselves) that shows that particular H was wrong.
>

> That is basically what Linz does.
>
> Given a SPECIFIC (but arbitary) H, we can construct a specific H^ built
> from a template from H, that that H can not get right.
>
> All the other H's might get this input right, but we don't care, we have
> shown that for every H we
>

>>> (And I think you have an error in your reference to Halts, I think
>>> you mean Halts(x,y) not Halts(x,x)
>>>

>> Yes good catch. I was trying to model embedded_H / ⟨Ĥ⟩
>> and then changed my mind to make it more general.

>>> Not the same thing.
>>> ∃H ∈ C_Functions
>>> is not equivalent to
>>> ∃H  ∈ Turing_Machines
>>>
>>> as there are many C_Functions that are not the equivalent of Turing
>>> Machines.
>>>

>> The whole purpose here is to get you to understand what
>> templates are and how they reference infinite sets.
>>

> But the problem is that even in your formulation, H and D are, when
> doing the test, SPECIFIC PROGRAMS and not "templates" as Halts is
> defined on the domain of PROGRAMS.
>
> Similarly, a "Template" doesn't have a specific set of
> x86_Machine_Code_of_C_function, at least not one with defined behavior
> since if it tries to reference code outside of itself, then Halts of
> that just isn't defined, only Halts of that code + the specific machine
> deciding it.

>>> Yes, but the logic of Turing Machines looks at them one at a time,
>>> and the input is a FULL INDEPENDENT PROGRAM.
>>>

>> ∃H  ∈ Turing_Machines
>> That does not look at one machine it looks as an infinite set of
>> machines. I am very happy to find out that you were not playing head
>> games. Linz actually used the words that you referred to.
>
> while the ∃H part can create a set of machines, each element of that set
> is INDIVIDUALLY TESTED in the following conditions, so, when we get to
> your test  H(x,y) = Halts(x,x), each of H, x, y are individual members
> of the set, and we THEN collect the set of all of them.
>
> If we try to say
> ∃x ∈ Natural Numbers, such that  x+x = 3
> we can't say that x is both 1 and 2 and thus as a set meet the
> requirement. For the conditions, each qualifier select a single
> prospective element, and those are tested to see if that meet the
> requirement.

So it never was about any specific machine as Linz misleading words
seemed to indicate. It was always about examining each element of an
infinite set.

Likewise: ∃H ∈ C_Functions is about examining each element
of an infinite set. A program template specifies a set of programs
the same way that an axiom schema specifies a set of axioms.

I am very happy that the issue was the misleading words of Linz
and not you playing head games.