Article <v368su$100kd$4@dont-email.me>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v368su$100kd$4@dont-email.me>

From: olcott <polcott333@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: sci.logic,comp.theory
Subject: Re: True on the basis of meaning --- Good job Richard ! ---Socratic
 method MTT
Date: Tue, 28 May 2024 22:54:07 -0500
 <v2d0qp$3dlkm$1@dont-email.me> <v2d1io$3dplm$1@dont-email.me>
 <v2evl5$3snmj$1@dont-email.me> <v2g2dp$3ugq$1@dont-email.me>
 <v2hkkl$ggq9$1@dont-email.me> <v2ibhe$ksut$1@dont-email.me>
 <v2k8go$1363g$1@dont-email.me> <v2l4hr$188bi$3@dont-email.me>
 <v2l87m$19619$1@dont-email.me> <v2lies$1b4kp$1@dont-email.me>
 <v2ltgl$1nrfv$2@i2pn2.org> <v2m0m5$1dcof$2@dont-email.me>
 <v2m4lg$1qo0t$1@i2pn2.org> <v2mtkj$1ln2l$1@dont-email.me>
 <v2ngi3$1or9h$8@dont-email.me> <v2pig4$28a91$1@dont-email.me>
 <v2qp30$2f6v4$1@dont-email.me> <v2s5td$2psu4$1@dont-email.me>
 <v2t9ne$2vna0$5@dont-email.me> <v2usea$3be7o$1@dont-email.me>
 <v2veqj$3e8pb$1@dont-email.me> <v31eit$3ugn4$1@dont-email.me>
 <v324iu$2pkb$1@dont-email.me> <v324pa$2rt4$1@dont-email.me>
 <v325l6$2pkb$3@dont-email.me> <v33vc1$g5n4$1@dont-email.me>
 <v34rgj$l2fc$1@dont-email.me> <v362er$2d367$1@i2pn2.org>
 <v364hp$vl7m$1@dont-email.me> <v36801$2d368$2@i2pn2.org>

On 5/28/2024 10:38 PM, Richard Damon wrote:

>>> But Prolog doesn't support powerful enough logic to handle the system
>>> like Tarski and Godel are talking about.
>>>
>>> The fact that Prolog just rejects it shows that.
>>>

>> Your ignorance is no excuse.
>
> What ignorance?

The fact that you assert that you know the underlying details of
https://www.swi-prolog.org/pldoc/man?predicate=unify_with_occurs_check/2
without even glancing at the documentation and write-up in Clocksin and
Mellish seems to be willful ignorance.

> The fact that I understand the limitation of Prolog and what forms of
> logic it can do, which seems to be beyond your understanding?
>
> Claiming that Prolog rejects a statement because it doesn't fit its
> grammer is meaningless for more complicated logics that don't have that
> same grammer restricition.
>
> IF you want to limit the logic you use to what Prolog can handle, go
> ahead, the rest of the world likes its mathematics.

>>> But you just don't don't understand what was done in those proofs.
>>>
>>> Neither of them assumed the Liar's paradox had a truth value. Only
>>> statements formed from VALID logical sequences in the field.
>>>
>>> Please try to show what step in Godel's or Tarski's proof where they
>>> made a logical error (not just came up with a statement you think
>>> can't be valid).
>>>

>> Tarski's Liar Paradox from page 248
>>     It would then be possible to reconstruct the antinomy of the liar
>>     in the metalanguage, by forming in the language itself a sentence
>>     x such that the sentence of the metalanguage which is correlated
>>     with x asserts that x is not a true sentence.
>>     https://liarparadox.org/Tarski_247_248.pdf
>
> Right, He has SHOWN that the logic system, when given the assumption of
> the existance of the Truth Predicate, can construct the liar as a
> truth-bearing statement.

Utterly Ridiculous (and you probably don't know it).