Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v36a88$10d6b$1@dont-email.me>

From: Bill Sloman <bill.sloman@ieee.org>
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Subject: Re: Small magnetic tunable filter for 6G and beyond
Date: Wed, 29 May 2024 14:17:04 +1000

On 28/05/2024 1:25 am, john larkin wrote:
> On Mon, 27 May 2024 12:58:08 -0000 (UTC), Phil Hobbs
> <pcdhSpamMeSenseless@electrooptical.net> wrote:
>
>> Jeroen Belleman <jeroen@nospam.please> wrote:
>>>>

>>> YIG filter and resonators have always been a bit exotic. Maybe this
>>> will make them common-place. And more compact, hopefully! The YIG
>>> was tiny, sure, but the magnet wasn't.
>>>
>>> Jeroen Belleman
>>>

>> YIG-tuned VFOs are the champs for low close-in phase noise. My HP 8566B’s
>> noise floor at 1kHz is a good 30 dB better than any SDR-style analyzer.
>>
>> If they manage to get them down to Digikey-level practicality without
>> screwing that up, it would be huge.
>>
>> I wonder if you could use a mag amp sort of structure, with a rare earth
>> magnet biasing some cleverly designed bits of saturable ferrite, plus some
>> small coils changing the effective gap in the magnetic circuit.
>>
>> Fun to think about.
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> Phil Hobbs
>
> How can one keep a magnetic field stable to parts per billion?
>
> Seems like ambient 60 Hz fields and temperature changes and tiny
> noises in the coil current would dominate. It's hard to regulate a
> current to parts per million.
>
> Qs are low too.
>
> Does your HP have a big ovenized mu-metal box inside?

Electron microscopes and magnetic deflection mass spectrometers regulate
magnetic fields pretty precisely - the Cambridge Instruments EBMF 10.5
that I worked on used two othogonal magnetic fields to put the electron
beam precisely were it was wanted to 15-bit precision at 10MHz.

I got dragged in when the Johnson noise in the existing scanning
amplifiers started making the lines it drew look a bit blobby, which I
fixed by taking the low noise FETs out of the front end - we didn't need
the low input impedance they offered - and relying on the low noise
transistors with which they had been cascoded.

Admittedly we only had the 10MHz step rate inside a 12-bit sub-field,
and stepped between those sub-fields involved 1msec of settling time -
the 18-bit DAC that looked after that was bit slow.

It's certainly not easy to regulate magnetic fields to parts per
million, but it can be done.

The big mass spectrometer - that I worked on for a couple of months at
one point - used a Hall plate to regulate its magnetic field to that
sort of precision.

I had a potentially patentable idea to make it work a bit better, but
when we looked into it the idea had been spelled out elsewhere though
the engineers who had put the machine together hadn't heard about it.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney