Article <v36nri$125tu$5@dont-email.me>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v36nri$125tu$5@dont-email.me>

From: RonB <ronb02NOSPAM@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: Do =?UTF-8?Q?Microsoft=E2=80=99s?= Copilot+ PCs Require Linux?
Date: Wed, 29 May 2024 08:09:22 -0000 (UTC)
 <v2pdu5$27a5s$1@dont-email.me> <v2pvo9$2ae8o$6@dont-email.me>
 <v2r8se$2hodo$1@dont-email.me> <v2rg11$2i2hv$6@dont-email.me>
 <Jeff-Relf.Me@May.24--8.34pm.Seattle.2024>
 <dd545j9s32ugnbptlsp0pd6anbpjlh9j0h@4ax.com>
 <9s645j1pehkhdkc7kjj3hbp2nnu93c4mfc@4ax.com>
 <66523fb2$0$1258345$882e4bbb@reader.netnews.com>
 <v2u2cj$33vus$1@dont-email.me> <v2v9fr$3daer$4@dont-email.me>
 <v2vc53$3dkln$3@dont-email.me> <v30g0c$3lhel$3@dont-email.me>
 <v31s7c$mni$6@dont-email.me> <v33c8n$ddl1$5@dont-email.me>
 <8Bj5O.46451$HBac.19795@fx15.iad> <v34jb8$jg5q$2@dont-email.me>
 <iEp5O.49635$In22.40964@fx11.iad>

On 2024-05-28, Andrzej Matuch <andrzej@matu.ch> wrote:
> On 2024-05-28 8:40 a.m., RonB wrote:

>>> Are you purposefully dense? I'm going in chronological order.
>>>
>>> Those who had machines which could capably run Windows XP did so until
>>> 2014 when Microsoft stopped supporting the product. At that point, if
>>> they saw the lack of support as a problem, they upgraded their machines
>>> to one running 7 or 8.1. They didn't say "let me hold onto this 2001
>>> machine and run some shit Linux distribution on it."
>>
>> I moved from XP to Linux and Linux wasn't shit. Windows Vista, now that
>> truly was shit.
>
> It wasn't good on poor hardware, but it ran rather well on decent
> hardware. The only issue I ever faced with it (out of beta) was that it
> took an exceptionally long time to refresh the Windows Explorer. It
> suggested that my filesystem was complex when it wasn't. At the time, I
> actually preferred to just use Linux too, but 7 brought me back.

I have a laptop that still has Vista on it. A dell E6400 Dual Core. I bought
it cheap several years ago on Craig's List. It came with a pirated version
of Windows 7 corporate something or other, which I deleted. It had a Vista
license, so I put some effort into finding Vista for it, installing it and
finding the drivers. By this time Vista had been abandoned, so it was the
latest version. I dual-booted Linux Mint on that computer, so hardly ever
used Vista — it was just a challenge to see if I could install it. By the
end of its run, Vista was pretty much Windows 7, but that's not how it
started when it was first released. I still have that computer and it will
still dual-boot, to outdated Vista and outdated Linux Mint 18. I kind of
keep it as a backup, but even the latest release of Vista didn't seem too
impressive to me. (I had already been using Linux for about several years by
the time I used Vista.)

--
[Self-centered, Woke] "pride is a life of self-destructive fakery, an
entrapment to a false and self-created matrix of twisted unreality."