Article <v375v1$14knj$2@dont-email.me>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v375v1$14knj$2@dont-email.me>

From: Chris Ahlstrom <OFeem1987@teleworm.us>
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: Do Microsoft?s Copilot+ PCs Require Linux?
Date: Wed, 29 May 2024 08:10:09 -0400
 <v30g73$3lhel$4@dont-email.me> <lbi9f6Fhd3pU1@mid.individual.net>
 <v30t17$3k86l$4@dont-email.me> <lbinqpFj5p4U2@mid.individual.net>
 <v31bo3$3scv5$1@dont-email.me>
 <665489c7$0$7182$882e4bbb@reader.netnews.com> <v3252c$2uku$1@dont-email.me>
 <6655dd49$0$7068$882e4bbb@reader.netnews.com>
 <ignb5j5tbu09b29e88ig9l2bqrmr1dthse@4ax.com> <v34of7$khej$1@dont-email.me>
 <lbmlcuF6nmsU5@mid.individual.net>
 <cv8c5jtrb1i32074qn3qkj7qeodnr12q77@4ax.com>
 <lbn7lqF9dqhU2@mid.individual.net>

rbowman wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:

> On Tue, 28 May 2024 14:36:37 -0400, Joel wrote:
>
>> I would use the features of CPP that are not OOP, but otherwise, regular
>> C is all one needs, aside from minor things only assembly can do
>> (largely OS core/device drivers).

I once tried, as an experiment, writing an audio player using straight
C and unions to do "inheritance".

Once was enough.

Sometimes C is enough, though. Or sometimes one is forced to use a C-only
library or wrap C++ code in 'extern "C"' interfaces.

> Other than Esri stuff my C++ looks a lot like C but then so does
> Stroustrup's in the edition I have. Esri's ArcObjects is COM based so they
> make extensive use of smart pointers. It took me a while to get used to

COM... bleh.

> IFeaturePtr pFeature;
> IGeometryPtr pGeometry;
> ICurvePtr pCurve;
> pFeature->get_Shape(&pGeometry);
> pCurve = pGeometry
>
> The first one makes sense. There is a bunch of variant and BSTR mumbo-
> jumbo that goes with COM but pFeature->get_Value(someField) works like you
> would thing but there is no pFeature->get_Curve), only the magical
> assignment instead of even pGeometry->get_Curve(&pCurve);
>
> The docs weren't that great so it was often 'okay, I've got this, not how
> the hell do I get that?'
>
> The other problem with C++ for me was the awkward way it was hatched that
> let Microsoft fill in the blanks so you have things like String and
> string.

Yeah, Qt jumped into the breech with things like QString. I make sure that
the public interfaces use C++ standard types, and convert to stuff like QString
internally only where necessary... I have a little function named qt() for that.
It's only in the GUI, so the performance hit is insignificant.

--
Q:	What's a light-year?
A:	One-third less calories than a regular year.