Article <v39o26$1lvct$1@dont-email.me>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v39o26$1lvct$1@dont-email.me>

From: David Brown <david.brown@hesbynett.no>
Newsgroups: comp.lang.c
Subject: Re: xxd -i vs DIY Was: C23 thoughts and opinions
Date: Thu, 30 May 2024 13:31:18 +0200
 <v2lji1$1bbcp$1@dont-email.me> <87msoh5uh6.fsf@nosuchdomain.example.com>
 <f08d2c9f-5c2e-495d-b0bd-3f71bd301432@gmail.com>
 <v2nbp4$1o9h6$1@dont-email.me> <v2ng4n$1p3o2$1@dont-email.me>
 <87y18047jk.fsf@nosuchdomain.example.com>
 <87msoe1xxo.fsf@nosuchdomain.example.com> <v2sh19$2rle2$2@dont-email.me>
 <87ikz11osy.fsf@nosuchdomain.example.com> <v2v59g$3cr0f$1@dont-email.me>
 <20240528144118.00002012@yahoo.com> <v34odg$kh7a$1@dont-email.me>
 <20240528185624.00002494@yahoo.com> <v359f1$nknu$1@dont-email.me>
 <20240528232315.00006a58@yahoo.com> <v35qrg$qhnf$1@dont-email.me>
 <v36p6t$12k77$1@dont-email.me> <20240529130818.000070bf@yahoo.com>
 <v375v6$14n4i$1@dont-email.me> <v37l0s$17712$3@dont-email.me>
 <v37qs5$18ai5$1@dont-email.me> <20240529225905.000041ec@yahoo.com>
 <v387og$1aie8$1@dont-email.me> <v38gjo$1c0dp$1@dont-email.me>

On 30/05/2024 02:18, bart wrote:
> On 29/05/2024 22:46, Malcolm McLean wrote:

>> Exactly. Windows costs a fortune.
>
> Actually I've no idea how much it costs.

The retail version is too much for a cheap machine, but a minor part of
the cost of a more serious computer.  The server versions and things
like MSSQL server are ridiculous prices - for many setups, they cost
more than the hardware, and that's before you consider the client access
licenses.

> But whatever it is, I'm not adverse to the idea of having to pay for
> software. After all you have to pay for hardware, and for computers, I
> would happily pay extra to have something that works out of the box.

I have nothing against paying for software either.  I mainly use Linux
because it is better, not because it is free - that's just an added
convenience.  I have bought a number of Windows retail licenses over the
decades, to use with machines I put together myself rather than OEM
installations.

I'm not so sure about "works out of the box", however.  On most systems
with so-called "pre-installed" Windows, it takes hours for the
installation to complete, and you need to answer questions or click
things along the way so you can't just leave it to itself.  And if the
manufacturer has taken sponsorship from ad-ware and crap-ware vendors,
it takes more hours to install, and then you have hours of work to
uninstall the junk.

Installing Windows from a retail version DVD or USB stick is usually
faster than getting "pre-installed" Windows up and running.  The only
problem is drivers, though Windows is a bit better than it used to be.
As long as you have a fairly common Ethernet interface then there is a
reasonable chance that Windows has a driver that will work, and then can
get drivers for the other bits and pieces.  Laptops, OTOH, can be a real
PITA for installation of retail Windows.

IME installing Linux is faster and simpler than installing Windows on
almost any hardware.  The only drivers that have been an issue for me
for decades is for very new Wireless interfaces.

So - agreeing with your logic - I'd be willing to pay for Linux rather
than using free Windows.  (But I'm even happier that, for most of my
use, I don't have to pay for Linux.)