Article <v39ue9$1mtd9$3@dont-email.me>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v39ue9$1mtd9$3@dont-email.me>

From: olcott <polcott333@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: comp.theory
Subject: =?UTF-8?Q?Re=3A_A_simulating_halt_decider_applied_to_the_The_Peter_?=
 =?UTF-8?Q?Linz_Turing_Machine_description_=E2=9F=A8=C4=A4=E2=9F=A9?=
Date: Thu, 30 May 2024 08:20:09 -0500
 <v30t8u$26571$6@i2pn2.org> <v30u04$3rour$1@dont-email.me>
 <v30upc$26571$7@i2pn2.org> <v30vp3$3s4od$1@dont-email.me>
 <v321o0$28n58$1@i2pn2.org> <v3255k$2pkb$2@dont-email.me>
 <v326fd$28n59$2@i2pn2.org> <v327h8$3a17$1@dont-email.me>
 <v328l1$28n58$2@i2pn2.org> <v329t8$3mh0$2@dont-email.me>
 <v32ait$28n58$4@i2pn2.org> <v32bvc$48pj$1@dont-email.me>
 <v32cko$2937i$1@i2pn2.org> <v32nsa$6fo3$1@dont-email.me>
 <v32tfs$29dee$1@i2pn2.org> <v331mf$84p2$1@dont-email.me>
 <v332ci$29def$2@i2pn2.org> <v33790$8u5p$1@dont-email.me>
 <v337r0$29dee$2@i2pn2.org> <v338c5$94g8$1@dont-email.me>
 <v339kr$29dee$3@i2pn2.org> <v33aj7$9f3u$1@dont-email.me>
 <v33bo5$29def$4@i2pn2.org> <v33dt7$dlnv$1@dont-email.me>
 <v33f6d$29dee$4@i2pn2.org> <v33g9j$e3ug$1@dont-email.me>
 <v33gss$29def$6@i2pn2.org> <v33hbf$e6qn$1@dont-email.me>
 <v34fg0$2bb65$2@i2pn2.org> <v36pgt$12lh7$1@dont-email.me>
 <v379la$159q4$2@dont-email.me> <v398hu$1j7to$1@dont-email.me>

On 5/30/2024 2:06 AM, Mikko wrote:
> On 2024-05-29 13:13:13 +0000, olcott said:

>>> It is possible to formulate the claim and proof so that H is an
>>> universally
>>> quantified variable. But the usual way is apparently equally good for
>>> the
>>> target audience.
>>>

>> *Formalizing the Linz Proof structure*
>> ∃H  ∈ Turing_Machines
>> ∀x  ∈ Turing_Machines_Descriptions
>> ∀y  ∈ Finite_Strings
>> such that H(x,y) = Halts(x,y)
>
> That is not a proof structure. That is the counter-hypothesis of Linz'
> proof.
> Also note that both x and y are finite strings.

The above is what Linz is claiming evaluates to false, he says
there is no such H.

A decider computes the mapping from finite string inputs to
its own accept or reject state.

A decider does not and cannot compute the mapping from Turing_Machine
inputs to its own accept or reject state.