Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v3aaov$1p96c$1@dont-email.me>

From: Bill Sloman <bill.sloman@ieee.org>
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Subject: Re: Yttrium iron garnet
Date: Fri, 31 May 2024 02:50:29 +1000

On 31/05/2024 12:04 am, john larkin wrote:
> On Thu, 30 May 2024 11:03:19 GMT, Glen Walpert <nospam@null.void>
> wrote:

>>> That article makes it seem like YIG is some revolutionary, new, emerging
>>> technology!
>>
>> Use of YIG filters as a replacement for varactor tuning could turn out to
>> be significant.  2022 Microwave Journal article:
>>
>> <https://www.microwavejournal.com/articles/37980-reinventing-yig-
>> technology-for-microwave-filter-applications>
>
> The VIDA oscillators still look like giant expensive power hogs. They
> don't specify modulation bandwidth on the data sheets that I see, but
> it must be terrible.

makes quite a lot of fuss about them not being power hogs.

> One can't modulate a hundreds-of-mA electromagnet very fast.

In fact they tweak quite a compact permanent magnet stack. How fast they
can do it isn't discussed (or at least if they did I didn't notice it).

> An LC osc with a varicap is a more sensible VCO. Narrowband, one can
> varicap a coaxial ceramic resonator, or a PCB ring oscillator, or
> something. Cheap and fast.

Varicaps are horribly non-linear. Narrow-band is always easier than
wide-band, but the YIG tuning scheme is good for at least a factor of
two frequency range and once you've got that you can use counters to go
down from there until you run out of dividers

> Of course, it's inherently difficult to modulate a high-Q resonator
> fast, even without an electromagnet in the way.

You don't need an electromagnet to get the fields required. You may want
a non-conducting permanent magnet to proved the bulk of the field - or
it might be enough to split your magnetic path into lots of parallel
wire magnets insulated from one another. There are ferrite permanent
magnets which aren't all that electrically conductive.

This reads more as if you don't want it to work - it's the sort of
contribution that gets people chucked out of brain-storming sessions.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney