Article <v3adkq.o84.1@ID-201911.user.individual.net>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v3adkq.o84.1@ID-201911.user.individual.net>

From: Frank Slootweg <this@ddress.is.invalid>
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Re: Google's "Find My Debvice Network"
Date: 30 May 2024 15:48:12 GMT

Stan Brown <the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm> wrote:
> On Wed, 29 May 2024 18:00:19 +0100, Andy Burns wrote:
> >
> > Robert Roland wrote:
> >
> > > In a system like this, the number of participating devices is
> > > critically important, so I doubt you will be allowed to turn it off.
> >
> > According to 9to5google, it has three states
> >
> >       Without network:
> >       With network in high-traffic areas only:
> >       With the network in all areas:
> >
> > <https://9to5google.com/2024/04/03/android-find-my-device-network-live-early/>
> >
> > under
> > Settings > Security & privacy > Device finders > Find My Device
> >
> > I don't see those choices, but i can do a manual scan for trackers near me,
> [end of article missing?]
>

> On my Samsung A54, Android 14, OneUI 6.1, I have
>
> Settings   Security and privacy    Lost device protection: Allow this
> phone to be found in case it gets lost
>
> Tapping that leads to a complaint "not signed in to Samsung
> account," which is true. I wouldn't create a Microsoft account; why
> would I create a Samsung one?

  You get that error, because you're in the *Samsung* 'Find My Mobile'
settings.

  There is also the *Google* 'Find My Device' function. Note Samsung
"Mobile" versus Google "Device". Confusing, isn't it!? :-(

  To get to the *Google* 'Find My Device' function (instructions for my
Samsung Galaxy A51 Android 13):

Settings -> Google / Google services -> 'All services' tab -> Find My
Device