Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v3ca01$26noq$1@dont-email.me>

From: FPP <fredp1571@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: With any luck...
Date: Fri, 31 May 2024 06:49:35 -0400

On 5/30/24 2:21 PM, The Horny Goat wrote:
> On Thu, 30 May 2024 11:31:44 -0400, FPP <fredp1571@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 5/28/24 2:26 PM, trotsky wrote:
>>> With any luck Trump will be found guilty on all counts today. We've
>>> waited long enough.
>>

>> Maybe Friday... today is really doubtful.  I expect he might be guilty
>> on some counts, and skate on others.
>>
>> But you never know what a jury will do.  Hung juries aren't like you see
>> on Teevee.
>>
>> It's pretty rare... about 6% of the juries hang.  Convictions are more
>> than 10 times that.
>
> Am surprised the conviction rate isn't much higher - prosecutors have
> control over what cases go to trial and which don't and especially in
> major (aka "high profile") trials make darned sure they feel they've
> "got the goods" before proceeding to trial.

It's a misleading figure.  Fewer than 1% of federal criminal defendants
were acquitted in 2022.

The overwhelming majority of defendants in federal criminal cases that
year did not go to trial at all. About nine-in-ten (89.5%) pleaded
guilty, while another 8.2% had their case dismissed at some point in the
judicial process, according to the data from the Administrative Office
of the U.S. Courts.

They don't lose many cases.

--
"Thou shalt not make a machine in the likeness of a man’s mind." - OC
Bible  25B.G.

Gracie, age 6.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/0es3xolxka455iw/BetterThingsToDo.jpg?dl=0