Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v3cbqk$2721e$1@dont-email.me>

From: Phil Hobbs <pcdhSpamMeSenseless@electrooptical.net>
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Subject: Re: Optocoupler datasheets
Date: Fri, 31 May 2024 11:20:53 -0000 (UTC)

john larkin <jl@650pot.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 31 May 2024 00:12:30 -0000 (UTC), Phil Hobbs
> <pcdhSpamMeSenseless@electrooptical.net> wrote:
>
>> john larkin <jl@650pot.com> wrote:

>>> I did test a Cree white LED for speed. It hit my detector response of
>>> about 7 ns, phosphor included. I was surprised.
>>>

>> Yes, some LEDs are much faster than others.
>>
>> We sell a LED-based pulsed light source that has <6 ns rise and fall times,
>> using any  of three part numbers at different wavelengths.
>>
>> With a fancy $20 LED, it gets down to 2 ns.
>>
>> Speedup caps , reverse bias, and so on do zilch to speed it up.
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> Phil Hobbs
>
> Why are IR LEDs so much faster? A 10 GBPS SFP transceiver module costs
> $16 from Amazon (with Prime free shipping!)

Those are lasers. The carrier dynamics of a laser running above threshold
are dominated by radiative recombination, which is much quicker.

Lasers are also designed to avoid the horrible diffusion delay of most
LEDs—lower doping, thinner epi, and so on.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs  Principal Consultant  ElectroOptical Innovations LLC /
Hobbs ElectroOptics  Optics, Electro-optics, Photonics, Analog Electronics