Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v3cc1v$2733m$1@dont-email.me>

From: Bill Sloman <bill.sloman@ieee.org>
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Subject: Re: Yttrium iron garnet
Date: Fri, 31 May 2024 21:24:33 +1000

On 31/05/2024 8:40 pm, john larkin wrote:
> On Fri, 31 May 2024 00:04:47 -0000 (UTC), Phil Hobbs
> <pcdhSpamMeSenseless@electrooptical.net> wrote:
>
>> john larkin <jl@650pot.com> wrote:

>>> Coaxial ceramic resonators have Qs in the thousands, and low tempcos.
>>>
>> If you can find one at the exact frequency you need.  YIGs have a huge
>> tuning range.
>>
>> IIRC you also said that they’re piezoelectric.
>
> The CCRs are high-K, usually shorted, transmission lines, not
> piezoelectric. Prop delay is a tiny fraction of c. You can TDR them as
> such. Z is usually in the 10 ohm ballpark.
>
>> I’m not saying that YIG is the answer to everything, but for some things
>> it’s amazing and (AFAIK) unique.
>
> No argument, but they will always be big and expensive slow-tuning
> power hogs, which is fine in a spectrum analyzer.

Except that they don't have to be, as

pointed out. Modern lithography and surface mount assembly can let you
get away with a much smaller active device, and if you get the bulk of
your magnetic field from a permanent magnet, you don't need a lot of power.

> RF synthesizer chips are pretty amazing these days too. They make a
> pretty good first LO too, but they are small and cheap.

Not all that cheap, and there's quite a bit higher harmonic content to
filter out.

>> Sure improves spectrum analyzers!
>
> I wonder if the latest SAs use YIGs.

Keysight's do.