Article <v3cmhh$28jem$10@dont-email.me>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v3cmhh$28jem$10@dont-email.me>

From: RonB <ronb02NOSPAM@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: Do Microsoft?s Copilot+ PCs Require Linux?
Date: Fri, 31 May 2024 14:23:45 -0000 (UTC)
 <v2u2cj$33vus$1@dont-email.me> <v2v9fr$3daer$4@dont-email.me>
 <v2vc53$3dkln$3@dont-email.me> <v30g0c$3lhel$3@dont-email.me>
 <slrnv5a4g0.8c8.candycanearter07@candydeb.host.invalid>
 <v33c75$ddl1$4@dont-email.me>
 <slrnv5aeav.hse.candycanearter07@candydeb.host.invalid>
 <v33tqh$ftv1$1@dont-email.me> <uglb5jho4cn959nosc8di0lai52p4tftb6@4ax.com>
 <v35pqb$qao6$4@dont-email.me> <tusc5jllfskdpj5cknsk84mb5p66q0b0hc@4ax.com>
 <v36f0o$111db$1@dont-email.me> <bPE5O.15788$ytC1.771@fx34.iad>
 <v37hpc$16hr0$5@dont-email.me> <W4L5O.2$B%H7.1@fx43.iad>
 <v39qb3$1lnr7$14@dont-email.me> <iP_5O.635$RsQ5.140@fx42.iad>
 <v3bkvs$23f25$1@dont-email.me> <d_h6O.18243$Dsz1.2782@fx14.iad>

On 2024-05-31, Andrzej Matuch <andrzej@matu.ch> wrote:
> On 2024-05-31 12:51 a.m., RonB wrote:

>>> Pure aesthetics, the point D'Oilveiro was pointing at. He was trying in
>>> vain to insult Windows by poking at how it looked (through XP) and then
>>> continued mocking Windows 2000. Meanwhile, both operating systems from
>>> the turn of the century still look better than the typical Linux
>>> desktop. I'm only talking about the looks.
>>
>> I don't agree. I prefer Cinnamon's look over Windows. Not that it's that
>> huge of a deal to me.

>>> I'm not necessarily a fan of GNOME 3, but I became one because of how
>>> much hate it used to get at the beginning for trying to change the way
>>> people use their computers. People resistant change and GNOME, so I went
>>> out of my way to use it and figure out how it worked when it was
>>> released. I think that many of its ideas are smart ones.
>>
>> That's what turned me completely off on Gnome 3. Basically their mindset was
>> "We've decided that you SHOULD do it our way — even if you don't want to."
>> In Windows you would have had to take or leave it (see Windows 8). In Linux
>> I just moved to Linux Mint. Problem solved.
>>
>> As for changing for the sake of changing, that never was "my thing."
>>
>> One of the really big problems for Gnome 3 (at the beginning) was that there
>> was no easy customization. Customization tweaks would be created and then
>> abandoned when a newer versions of Gnome 3 came out. You really would have
>> to go to terminal and tweak configuration files a lot if you wanted to make
>> changes in you desktop. So Linux Mint developed Cinnamon. Gnome 3 in the
>> background, with an easily customized desktop in the foreground. We could
>> have it "our way" instead of being forced into learning the "new way" Gnome
>> developers decided we HAD to adopt to. To me it was developer hubris. I
>> don't like being pushed into something I don't want to do. I find an
>> alternative instead. (I think it's the Irish in me.)
>
> GNOME 3 was a response to a problem nobody had. Cinnamon was the
> solution to the problem caused by GNOME responding to those imaginary
> original complaints. I don't find it particularly pretty, but I have to
> admit that Cinnamon does everything it needs to do right.

I wanted to stay with Gnome 2, so originally I went to Mate. And, at the
beginning of Linux Mint, Mate was actually more "mature" then Cinnamon
(customization was easier) But I tried Cinnamon and it won me over a couple
(maybe four or so?) years ago. But I still have Mate installed so I can
support my father and I've installed Xfce on the Wyse thin clients because
it's a bit lighter on resources. Linux Mint does a good job making all three
of their desktops similar in visual design. So it's pretty easy to move from
one to the other.

--
[Self-centered, Woke] "pride is a life of self-destructive fakery, an
entrapment to a false and self-created matrix of twisted unreality."