Article <v3cqs8$29k17$2@dont-email.me>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v3cqs8$29k17$2@dont-email.me>

From: "Fred. Zwarts" <F.Zwarts@HetNet.nl>
Newsgroups: comp.theory
Subject: Re: D correctly simulated by H cannot possibly reach its own line 06
 and halt
Date: Fri, 31 May 2024 17:37:44 +0200

Op 31.mei.2024 om 16:25 schreef olcott:
> On 5/31/2024 2:50 AM, Fred. Zwarts wrote:

>>> To actually understand my words (as in an actual honest dialogue)
>>> you must pay careful attention to every single word. Maybe you
>>> had no idea that *pure functions* must always halt.
>>>
>>> Or maybe you did not know that every computation that never reaches
>>> its own final state *DOES NOT HALT* even if it stops running because
>>> it is no longer simulated.
>>
>> Since the claim is that H is also a computation, it holds for H, as
>> well. That means that H *DOES NOT HALT* even if it stops running
>> because it is no longer simulated.
>>

> *pure function H definitely halts you are confused*

You can assume a unicorn, but that does not make it existent. You can
assume a simulating H that is a pure function and halts, but that does
not make them existent. The set of such H is empty.

I stop at your first big mistake so that we can resolve this key
mistake before moving on.

D calls H and if it would be true that H halts, then D would continue
with line 04. Any competent C programmer will confirm that.
Your claim is that the simulation of D does not reach line 04. That
means that the simulation of H did not reach its final state. If H halts
a correct simulation of H halts, too. However, the simulated H does not
reach its final state, which proves that H has non-halting behaviour.

If not true, show how H halts, i.e. returns from the call from D, but D
does not continue to line 04.