Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v3fel5$2raud$1@dont-email.me>

From: Don Y <blockedofcourse@foo.invalid>
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Subject: Re: Feedthough/via that straddles (i.e., is bisected by) the cut edge
 of a PCB?
Date: Sat, 1 Jun 2024 08:27:11 -0700

On 5/31/2024 11:18 PM, Jasen Betts wrote:
>> I'll toss together a sample design -- same overall size -- with a row of 15mil
>> vias NEAR the edge.  And, the exact same design with the board outline shifted
>> (so board remains EXACTLY the same size, holes, foils) so that the vias are
>> bisected by the board edge and see what the difference is in small quantities
>> and then in "rightmost column" buys.
>>
>> If they flinch, I'll increase via diameter and try again -- until its
>> not worth the approach.
>
> There's a checkbox for casellation on their quote form, (click
> customised service and advanced options)  it seems to
> add about $16 if you want 5 boards, and about $350 if you want 500 boards

I tried a bunch of different options and couldn't come to a concensus.
I have to sit down and put a *real* design through the process and
pick REAL options to see what the consequences are likely to be.

But, $LIFE keeps getting in the way.  :<  I need to clear some of my
backlog so I can focus on specific problems -- right now, finish writing
a grammar for another project that should have only taken a few days
to complete, were it not for the distractions.  :-/

> I don't know if you're buying sharper (or special) router bits, shorter
> board stacks, or a slower feed rate with the extra dollars, but I
> doubt it's buying extra process steps.

Yeah, but tying up existing equipment for more EFFECTIVE time per board
equates to the same thing.  I have to assume longer lead times are
likely a result of them trying to sneak a  troublesome job in between
easier jobs, a bit at a time.