Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v3g9il$30neu$1@dont-email.me>

From: Colour Sergeant Bourne <bourne@rorke.za>
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Subject: Username Funny Stuff
Date: Sat, 1 Jun 2024 19:06:59 -0400

I just got a new Mac.

My old File Vaulted Mac booted into the Lock Screen which showed my
FirstName LastName filled in as the (only) user and under that, a box to
enter my password.

After successfully setting up my new Mac, I tuned off. Later on
power-up, it booted into the Lock Screen which showed two empty boxes-—
the first requesting my username and the second my password.

I entered FirstName LastName for the username and then the correct
password. No go.  I got the shaking password error and couldn’t login.
Retried several times, checking for caps lock key, tried a different
keyboard, etc. No joy.

So I went into the Change Password sequence, logging in easily with my
Apple ID  and successfully changed the Mac password. On boot, still no
joy- couldn’t login.

Eventually I called tech support and an Apple Babe walked me through
changing the password again even though I told her I had already tried
that. She insisted I do it again and while doing so, I noticed that my
actual username was in fact firstnamelastname— no caps, no space.

I told her that and we abandoned the change password operation and
rebooted  entering firstnamelastname as the username. All worked fine.
Login!

The root cause of the problem was when I set up Lock Screen in System
Settings-- selecting for "Login Window Shows":  "Name and Password"
instead of "List of Users"-- the latter which pre-enters
firstnamelastname even though it shows FirstName LastName.

Live and learn....

--
There’s no problem so bad that you can’t make it worse.
					-  Astronaut Chris Hadfield