Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v3h3tr$38a1r$1@dont-email.me>

From: Bill Sloman <bill.sloman@ieee.org>
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Subject: Re: ATV deaths
Date: Sun, 2 Jun 2024 16:36:08 +1000

On 2/06/2024 12:37 am, john larkin wrote:
> https://www.upi.com/Health_News/2024/05/31/ATV-deaths-climb/5041717180947/
>
> I wonder if this is a result of super-powerful cheap battery-powered
> things.

It has probably got more to do with with more of them being bought and
used. Cars on regular roads are dangerous enough - all terrain vehicles
are designed for use on poorer quality roads, and more frequent
accidents are part of the package.

> https://www.amazon.com/JOYRACER-Powerful-Electric-Bluetooth-Suspension/dp/B0CNGKYP8X
>
> A couple of my employees have been hurt driving over-powered ebikes
> and scooters in the city.  As the article says, the casualties are
> mostly males, people who enjoy speed and acceleration.
>
> It wouldn't shock me if it turned out that some deaths result from
> mosfet failures in the (cheap) motor drivers.

But you've adduced absolutely zero evidence to suggest that this is
actually a problem. Current statistics report that gasoline powered
vehicle catch on fire a at considerably higher rate than electric
vehicles - newspapers report the electrical vehicle fires with more
enthusiasm, precisely because they are less frequent.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney