Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v3hhoq$3advp$1@dont-email.me>

From: Cursitor Doom <cd999666@notformail.com>
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Subject: Re: Distorted Sine Wave
Date: Sun, 2 Jun 2024 10:32:58 -0000 (UTC)
	<c6rj5j1l1gfoskul3nnvudf3nc57017k84@4ax.com> <v3d6ce$2anif$2@dont-email.me>
	<m38k5jlbqo39gr9223b0vg93e8lrbrpurr@4ax.com> <v3dg3k$2anif$3@dont-email.me>
	<9tok5j9p388ookujrtbsofskjlbekfuhjb@4ax.com>
	<60rk5jti9l5154hqaqicohmj3u1lfd16g3@4ax.com> <v3f2uh$2ni6q$1@dont-email.me>
	<v3f8fl$2q686$1@dont-email.me> <v3fii8$2raur$1@dont-email.me>
	<v3g5mq$300p6$1@dont-email.me>

On Sat, 1 Jun 2024 22:00:58 -0000 (UTC), piglet wrote:

> Cursitor Doom <cd999666@notformail.com> wrote:

>>> The shape looks perfectly acceptable to me. This is +3dBm into 50
>>> Ohms.
>>> Is that what it's supposed to be? Canned reference oscillators most
>>> often deliver +13dBm, sometimes +10dBm.
>>
>> Is it? I only make it about half your figure: +1.65dBm.
>> I admit I'm frequently prone to careless errors, so stand to be
>> corrected,
>> but here's my method:
>> 850mV peak to peak is 425mV peak voltage. Average of that is
>> 0.425x0.636 =
>> 0.27V. Average power is average volts squared divided by the load
>> impedance of 50 ohms = 1.46mW = +1.65dBm.
>>
>> I shall consult the manual to see what it ought to be - if I can find
>> it, that is, as PDF manuals are a nightmare to navigate IME.
>>

> Use 0.71 for RMS instead of 0.636 ! I make that about 1.8mW or +2.6dBm ?

Thanks, Erich. But there's no such thing as "RMS power" strictly speaking
IIRC, so that's why I took the average figure; not that it makes much
difference in practice. it does seem a bit on the low side, but despite
reading through the most likely sources (the service manual and the
trouble-shooting/repair manual) I can find nothing stated for what that
signal level should be! This may be due to the user-unfriendliness of very
large PDF manuals; I just don't know. Anyway, not very satisfactory! Later
today I plan to do a direct power meter measurement of the ref osc (since
none of us here seem to agree on what 850mV vs 50 ohms equates to!!)