Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v3hqsu$3bsog$1@dont-email.me>

From: Martin Brown <'''newspam'''@nonad.co.uk>
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Subject: Re: iPhone battery replacement
Date: Sun, 2 Jun 2024 14:08:46 +0100

On 02/06/2024 00:04, Don Y wrote:
> On 6/1/2024 3:09 PM, piglet wrote:
>> Don Y <blockedofcourse@foo.invalid> wrote:
>>> The battery in SWMBO's iPhone has swelled.  Not surprising as it
>>> is ANCIENT (6s).
>>>
>>> She is asking for it to be replaced:  "I *like* that phone!"
>>>
>>> Is this actually worth the effort, given that batteries are likely
>>> knock-offs (dubious quality) and disassembly/assembly is undoubtedly
>>> a lesson in fumble-fingers?  And, what's the likely life expectancy
>>> of a "new" battery?
>>>
>>> I've offered her either of two phones that I use but "they're too big".
>>
>> It is not difficult, check ifixit com and countless YouTube videos. Over
>
> Yes, I figure there must be a relatively large market and most "customers"
> are relatively unskilled in this sort of activity.  I had hoped, however,
> that the batteries would be shit or the phones would look cosmetically
> damaged (to give me an excuse not to undertake the activity  :<  )

It is doable but be very careful separating the parts.

Sharp tools and a moderate amount of force in exactly the right places
is involved. Newer models tend to be much more difficult to dismantle
reliably. You can sort of tell which are most difficult by looking at
how much third party repairers charge for a battery swap.

My friend that does it a lot has a specially sharpened wallpaper scraper
for applying the right amount of force over a long joint. Various
YouTube videos show how to do it - there is scope to devaluing it if you
break the glass or injuring yourself if you slip with a sharp blade.

The ones with copious amounts of hot melt glue inside are very tricky. I
think the 6s will be old enough not to have that problem. Other option
might be to find one secondhand from the likes of Cex or whatever the US
equivalent is called. A 6s won't have much resale value now.

--
Martin Brown