Article <v3htmb$3bkv5$7@dont-email.me>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v3htmb$3bkv5$7@dont-email.me>

From: olcott <polcott333@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: comp.theory
Subject: Re: Deciders are ONLY accountable for their actual inputs ---
Date: Sun, 2 Jun 2024 08:56:27 -0500

On 6/2/2024 3:08 AM, Mikko wrote:
> On 2024-06-01 15:09:02 +0000, olcott said:

>>> Why are people who are wrong so important that they deserve
>>> a subject line? I would think that people who are right are
>>> more interesting.
>>>

>> This is the key mistake of the definition of the halting problem itself.
>> Linz makes this same mistake. I already covered this extensively in
>> another reply.
>
> The word "this" above does not denote anything so the first sentence
> does not mean anything. The word "same" in the second sentence refers
> to "this" in the first sentnece and therefore does not denote, either,
> so the second sentence does not say anything either. So the third
> sentence says that you covevered nothing.
>
>> That these two dozen different people are wrong about this shows that
>> the only basis for any rebuttal of my proof for the last three years IS
>> WRONG.
>
> That you claim that these two dozen people are wrong does not show
> anything. It probably wouldn't even if you could show that they
> really were wrong.

The only one that I am aware that is not wrong about the behavior
that a simulating halt decider must report on is myself.

Only software engineers will understand that DD correctly simulated
by HH had different behavior than DD(DD). Comp Sci people allow Comp Sci
dogma to overrule verified facts.

When I pinned Richard down on this he simply said that he does not care
that DD correctly simulated by HH has different behavior than DD(DD).

It turns out that DD correctly simulated by HH <is> the behavior that
the input to HH(DD,DD) specifies. Deciders are ONLY accountable for
their actual inputs. Deciders compute the mapping FROM THEIR INPUTS...

typedef int (*ptr)();  // ptr is pointer to int function in C
00       int HH(ptr p, ptr i);
01       int DD(ptr p)
02       {
03         int Halt_Status = HH(p, p);
04         if (Halt_Status)
05           HERE: goto HERE;
06         return Halt_Status;
07       }
08
09       int main()
10       {
11         HH(DD,DD);
12         return 0;
13       }

DD correctly emulated by HH with an x86 emulator cannot possibly
reach past its own machine instruction [00001c2e] in any finite
(or infinite) number of steps of correct emulation.

_DD()
[00001c22] 55         push ebp
[00001c23] 8bec       mov ebp,esp
[00001c25] 51         push ecx
[00001c26] 8b4508     mov eax,[ebp+08]
[00001c29] 50         push eax        ; push DD 1c22
[00001c2a] 8b4d08     mov ecx,[ebp+08]
[00001c2d] 51         push ecx        ; push DD 1c22
[00001c2e] e80ff7ffff call 00001342   ; call HH
[00001c33] 83c408     add esp,+08
[00001c36] 8945fc     mov [ebp-04],eax
[00001c39] 837dfc00   cmp dword [ebp-04],+00
[00001c3d] 7402       jz 00001c41
[00001c3f] ebfe       jmp 00001c3f
[00001c41] 8b45fc     mov eax,[ebp-04]
[00001c44] 8be5       mov esp,ebp