Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v3i860$3eack$1@dont-email.me>

From: Cursitor Doom <cd999666@notformail.com>
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Subject: Re: Distorted Sine Wave
Date: Sun, 2 Jun 2024 16:55:28 -0000 (UTC)

On Sun, 02 Jun 2024 12:19:05 -0400, Joe Gwinn wrote:

> On Sun, 2 Jun 2024 11:31:33 -0000 (UTC), Cursitor Doom
> <cd999666@notformail.com> wrote:

>>> Since you have a power meter, a signal source, and an oscilloscope why
>>> not measure the peak to peak voltage on the scope and power on the
>>> power meter and see which calculation 0.636 vs 0.707 gives the closest
>>> agreement?
>>
>>It wouldn't prove anything one way or ther other, though, since that
>>power meter hasn't been calibrated for "quite a while" so to speak. :)
>>It'll give a 'good enough' reading for my purposes, but won't be
>>accurate enough to meaningfully test your otherwise fine suggestion.
>

> The 0 to +10 dBm range I mentioned came from the service manual.
>
> Looking at your scope picture, it looks like a 3 Vpp signal, which is
> +13 dBm, a very common distribution level, but one that exceeds the
> analyzer's allowed range.  All that's needed to fix this is a 3dB inline
> attenuator.  Here is one for SMA connectors:
>
> .<https://www.amazon.com/MWRF-Source-Male-Female-Attenuator/dp/
B07MP9D9GC?th=1>

> Just buying a few of these and doing some experiments will be far
> cheaper and faster than the various alternatives discussed.t
>
> Joe Gwinn

I think you're looking at the first picture with the signal into the
scope's 1 Meg input. The 50 ohm trace is only 850mV peak-to-peak or
thereabouts and when I measured it with an actual power meter, came out at
about +2.5dBm so within the range you stated; no attenuation needed
(thanks for the range, by the way; I needed to know that).

I've now measured the 100Mhz oscillator and that seems fine, although I
only saw 0.61V p-p into 50 ohms, so somewhat less than the 10Mhz
oscillator's output.
So far, I've not measured anything which screams "the fault's here!" as
all the expected signals are present - although admittedly I have many
more to test. But certainly all the *major* signals within this complex
beast are present. It's looking like it could be an issue with one of the
phase detectors or LPFs. Sigh....