Article <v3i9pk$2qu72$5@i2pn2.org>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v3i9pk$2qu72$5@i2pn2.org>

From: Richard Damon <richard@damon-family.org>
Newsgroups: comp.theory,sci.logic
Subject: Re: Deciders are ONLY accountable for their actual inputs ---
Date: Sun, 2 Jun 2024 13:23:00 -0400

On 6/2/24 9:46 AM, olcott wrote:
> On 6/2/2024 2:56 AM, Mikko wrote:

>>> When a pure function returns this is the equivalent of the theory
>>> of computation halting.
>>
>> In ceratin sense, yes. But the term "pure function" is mainly used
>> in a different context where the word "halting" has a more specific
>> meaning.
>>

> I need to maintain a constant mapping between theory of computation
> terminology and software engineering terminology.
>
> Computable Function(comp sci) <is equivalent to> Pure function(SE)
> I want it to be easy for software engineers to understand my proof.

Nope. In Computation Theory, a "Computable Function" is just a
mathematical concept of a Mapping (a, normally infinite, set of tuples
of unique input values and output values) which happens to have a
realizable algroith (aka Turing Machine) that can compute it.

The closest equivalent to a SE "Pure Function" is a Turing Machine or
Equivalent, or an "Algorithm"

SE, to my knowledge, doesn't really have the equvalent of the
Computation Theory "Computable Function", but something like it might be
expressed in the requirements for the function. It is the specification
of what outputs a given input SHOULD generate for the SE function to be
correct.

> Only software engineers will understand that DD correctly simulated
> by HH had different behavior than DD(DD). Comp Sci people allow Comp Sci
> dogma to overrule verified facts.

No, REAL Software Engineers would understand that a "Correct Simulation"
of something must create a reasonable approximation of the behavior of
the actual thing.

> When I pinned Richard down on this he simply said that he does not care
> that DD correctly simulated by HH has different behavior than DD(DD).

Right. because NO ONE (except you it seems) really cares about PARTIAL
simulations that don't answer the actual question being looked at.

> It turns out that DD correctly simulated by HH <is> the behavior that
> the input to HH(DD,DD) specifies. Deciders are ONLY accountable for
> their actual inputs. Deciders compute the mapping FROM THEIR INPUTS...

CAN'T BE. Not without ignoring the specifications. Something you seem to
like to do, which is why you end up wrong so often.

Deciders are accountable for making their output match the Function they
are supposed to be computing, which in this case is HALTING, which is
DEFINED as the Turing Machine (or equivalent Program) reaching a Final
State when it is RUN (not partially simulated) or if it will NEVER reach
such a state after an unbounded number of steps (which an aborted
simulation can not show).

Your concept of a "decider" just seems to omit the part of the
definition about what make the decider "correct", which seems par for
you, as being correct was never actually something you are concerned
with, just SEEMING correct enough to deceive someone.