Article <v3ifb1$3f51j$12@dont-email.me>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v3ifb1$3f51j$12@dont-email.me>

From: "Fred. Zwarts" <F.Zwarts@HetNet.nl>
Newsgroups: comp.theory
Subject: Re: Deciders are ONLY accountable for their actual inputs ---
Date: Sun, 2 Jun 2024 20:57:37 +0200

Op 02.jun.2024 om 20:46 schreef olcott:
> On 6/2/2024 1:39 PM, Fred. Zwarts wrote:

>>> The only one that I am aware that is not wrong about the behavior
>>> that a simulating halt decider must report on is myself.
>>>
>>> Only software engineers will understand that DD correctly simulated
>>> by HH had different behavior than DD(DD). Comp Sci people allow Comp Sci
>>> dogma to overrule verified facts.
>>>
>>> When I pinned Richard down on this he simply said that he does not care
>>> that DD correctly simulated by HH has different behavior than DD(DD).
>>>
>>> It turns out that DD correctly simulated by HH <is> the behavior that
>>> the input to HH(DD,DD) specifies. Deciders are ONLY accountable for
>>> their actual inputs. Deciders compute the mapping FROM THEIR INPUTS...
>>>
>>> typedef int (*ptr)();  // ptr is pointer to int function in C
>>> 00       int HH(ptr p, ptr i);
>>> 01       int DD(ptr p)
>>> 02       {
>>> 03         int Halt_Status = HH(p, p);
>>> 04         if (Halt_Status)
>>> 05           HERE: goto HERE;
>>> 06         return Halt_Status;
>>> 07       }
>>> 08
>>> 09       int main()
>>> 10       {
>>> 11         HH(DD,DD);
>>> 12         return 0;
>>> 13       }
>>>
>>> DD correctly emulated by HH with an x86 emulator cannot possibly
>>> reach past its own machine instruction [00001c2e] in any finite
>>> (or infinite) number of steps of correct emulation.
>>
>> Only because the call to HH at [00001c2e] does not return, because HH
>> does not reach its own return in any finite (or infinite) number of
>> steps of correct emulation.
>>

> When HH correctly simulates DD and DD calls the simulated HH(DD,DD)
> to simulate itself again
>
> *this simulated HH is not required to halt*
> *this simulated HH is not required to halt*
> *this simulated HH is not required to halt*
> *this simulated HH is not required to halt*

HH must halt. Therefore, a correct simulation of HH must halt, too. If
it doesn't, either the simulation is incorrect, or HH does not halt.