Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v3j9ha$3fm08$1@dont-email.me>

From: vallor <vallor@cultnix.org>
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Workstation Aesthetics (was: Re: Do Microsoft?s Copilot+ PCs Require
 Linux?)
Date: Mon, 3 Jun 2024 02:24:42 -0000 (UTC)
	<v2u2cj$33vus$1@dont-email.me> <v2v9fr$3daer$4@dont-email.me>
	<v2vc53$3dkln$3@dont-email.me> <v30g0c$3lhel$3@dont-email.me>
	<slrnv5a4g0.8c8.candycanearter07@candydeb.host.invalid>
	<v33c75$ddl1$4@dont-email.me>
	<slrnv5aeav.hse.candycanearter07@candydeb.host.invalid>
	<v33tqh$ftv1$1@dont-email.me> <uglb5jho4cn959nosc8di0lai52p4tftb6@4ax.com>
	<v35pqb$qao6$4@dont-email.me> <tusc5jllfskdpj5cknsk84mb5p66q0b0hc@4ax.com>
	<v36f0o$111db$1@dont-email.me> <bPE5O.15788$ytC1.771@fx34.iad>
	<v39693$1ird9$2@dont-email.me> <1OY5O.3643$zfC8.897@fx35.iad>
	<v3e70o$2kc2t$2@dont-email.me> <kPC6O.21333$Dsz1.8213@fx14.iad>
	<v3ghfn$31rjc$3@dont-email.me>
	<665c66eb$0$3738365$882e4bbb@reader.netnews.com>
	<v3j58g$3j4v3$4@dont-email.me>

On Mon, 3 Jun 2024 01:11:44 -0000 (UTC), Lawrence D'Oliveiro
<ldo@nz.invalid> wrote in <v3j58g$3j4v3$4@dont-email.me>:

> On Sun, 2 Jun 2024 08:34:55 -0400, DFS wrote:
>
>> On 6/1/2024 9:22 PM, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>>
>>> SGI:
>>> <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEoEXHM53oQ>
>>> <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctZ1m3rXBfo>
>>
>> "At an affordable $25,000 back in 1990, the Personal Iris can still be
>> found in many companies in use as servers."
>
> The Unix workstations were not cheap, but they did look good.
>
> And with its fancy 3D hardware, SGI was probably the most expensive of
> all.

It should be mentioned that when you helped out, and complied with
Slimer's request, he started posting about his obsession: Crump's ass.

I think this is one of those situations where "there's no accounting
for taste." There's also a bit of historical amnesia going on,
regarding what PC desktops had in terms of looks and capabilities
at the time.

My desktop (screenshots of which I've posted a couple of times
recently) is laid out similar to a Mac.  That doesn't mean I _want_
it to look like a Mac, I just reasoned that when I sit on my
wife's Mac Studio, the desktop has the same layout (more or less),
so I steer the mouse in the right direction automatically.

Comments about how CDE looked are ridiculous, when one
realizes Windows 95's look and feel were based on a cut-down
version of Motif.  Indeed -- at least for the HP9000 -- Microsoft
was among the copyright notices for the CDE.

BTW, I looked for a video demonstrating an Apollo workstation
desktop, but couldn't find anything.  Probably too old...

--
-v